Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Business Still Stuck On XP Even Now

by James Denison / April 1, 2015 4:33 AM PDT

It's been a year since support for XP was dropped. I know my wife's workplace moved up to W7, but seems many business is still using XP a year later. Are they waiting for Windows 10 release?

Perhaps the most interesting detail that emerged from Intel's
lackluster first quarter financial results the other day had nothing to
do with mobile, the company's white whale. Instead, it concerned
something so old that it almost seems laughable in the same week that
the very 21st-century Apple Watch dominated headlines. Per ZDNet's own Larry Dignan:

In a statement,
Intel said it cut its first quarter outlook because of "weaker than
expected demand for business desktop PCs and lower than expected
inventory levels across the PC supply chain." One
reason the chip giant cited for that weaker demand: a slowdown in
companies upgrading from Windows XP systems. What's particularly
interesting about this is that the move away from the ancient OS helped
drive some of Intel's better results in 2014.

Read this

Hands-on with Windows 10: Installing the Windows Technical Preview

Read More
What that suggests is a potentially
intractable problem for both Intel and Microsoft: businesses that still
manage to operate fine, thank you very much, with an operating system
that's nearly 15 years old.....(more in article)

I just realized the joke picture of the inept IT guy, is a younger picture of the article author.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Business Still Stuck On XP Even Now
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Business Still Stuck On XP Even Now
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Microsoft issues MS DOS Mobile 1.0 70KB in size.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2015 4:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) what's the purpose of it?
by James Denison / April 1, 2015 5:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Exactly what some said when computers came out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2015 5:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
April Fools?
by James Denison / April 4, 2015 3:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
because of other software
by renegade600 / April 1, 2015 6:11 AM PDT

a lot of businesses, especially small businesses, still run xp because of the other software they use. some software they use are just too expensive to justify upgrading. for example, when the company I worked for upgraded to win7, they was forced to spend over 20k for two seats just so the software will work with it. How many small businesses can afford or justify that type of expense?

Collapse -
XP still used
by Willy / April 4, 2015 3:36 AM PDT

I have an XP PC that drives my AIO and uses the dated s/w that supplies PDF generated files. Newer AIO don't all do that simply put, why should I spend anything when the blasted thing works just fine and ink cost is relatively cheap too. Of course, everything else is Win7 based, but I will move to Win10 when the times comes. ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
a number of my pdf files from XP
by James Denison / April 4, 2015 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: XP still used

were discovered to have an exploit when I scanned that windows partition using CLAM antivirus in Linux. It was called BC Exploit CVE 2012_4180

Might have been false positives, but I opened ran them through a pdf printer program I use and checked the new pdf files came back clean then. The pdf printer program stripped out the vulnerability. I also looked at the copies in a reader and they looked just the same as the infected files. I deleted the infected files.

Collapse -
(NT) I would say because XP is paid for.
by Diana Forum moderator / April 5, 2015 8:45 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?