Small business & Startups forum

Resolved Question

Business Intelligence

by BostonDan / June 10, 2014 4:22 AM PDT

Hi - I'm looking for some help identifying a solution that will provide the best means of entering and tracking business intelligence. I've used SugarCRM, vTiger, and currently use Dolibarr as my CRM system. All of these are great systems, but I'm looking to track more detailed information and utilize it for creating strategic account plans. For each company, I want to track:
Divisions
Management Hierarchy
Company Products
Company Markets
Company Identified Large Customers
Company revenue, segmented by market, products, geography, etc.
Sales Channels (distributors, manufacturer reps, etc.)
Strategic Suppliers
Strategic Partners
Opportunities
My other goals are to find something that is hosted, affordable, and either doesn't require customization or is straight forward to customize.
In advance, thanks for your recommendations.

BostonDan has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Business Intelligence
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Business Intelligence
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by BostonDan

Collapse -
To do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2014 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Business Intelligence

Wouldn't that require a staff of researchers to fill this information in?

And given the state of AI, the BI is you. I'm still bumping into folk that think AI is better than a 6 year old.
Bob

Collapse -
Business Intelligence - Limited Data
by BostonDan / June 10, 2014 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: To do that.

While I do have some limited help, it is a very small list of companies I do this for. The information is part of the product(Sales Channel Development) I deliver customers. Often much of the background and raw data is provided by clients. Currently, this information is entered directly into a Microsoft Word document as part of Sales Business Plans and used to support recommended strategies. The information is updated on an ongoing basis. I'm hoping the database will enable me to segment and present the information in additional views.

Collapse -
Re: database
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 10, 2014 6:48 AM PDT

I don't think that you will be able such a database in the market. So you'll have to design and implement it yourself (or have it done). The full system would consist of:
- the database, containing all the data in well-structured design
- screens to fill the database with consistency checks
- analysis tools

Kees

Collapse -
Database Design
by BostonDan / June 10, 2014 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: database

Thanks for responding Kees---I've 95% come to the conclusion that designing a custom database isn't worth the benefits. Although less efficient, I'm currently leaning towards staying with my current Microsoft Word method. Again - appreciate your help......BostonDan

Collapse -
There's so much choice today, I can't choose this for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2014 6:49 AM PDT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_intelligence_tools

I hear you loud and clear but for now I fear the old methods continue to be the best. That is, a colleague collects such in word documents, folders in their filing cabinets and because such information is precious has never thought of putting it into a database form.
Bob
Collapse -
Links
by BostonDan / June 10, 2014 8:08 AM PDT

Hi Bob - Thanks again very much for taking the time to respond and the link. I'm checking out the apps listed in the link you provided and will keep looking every so often, but I have a feeling your assessment is correct that there isn't yet a good solution for my needs. All the best from Boston - Dan

Collapse -
Boston cheer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2014 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Links

Howdy former neighbor. Marlborough, MA 2000 to 2010. Escaped to warmer climes.
Bob

Collapse -
Howdy
by BostonDan / June 10, 2014 1:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Boston cheer.

I'm actually from Canton, MA. For me, other than business travel, I don't think I'll ever escape MA. It's my center of the universe. Glad to hear you are enjoying warmer climate.

Collapse -
My one New England joke.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2014 2:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Howdy

"Now I know why half the Pilgrams died."

The really odd coincidence is folk that we knew moved away around the same time frame. It was still quite the decade. Went to DC a few times, walked The Freedom Trail many times, JFK library and more.

Historic places all over.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.