Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Bush wants to renew off shore drilling

yahoo news

but will congress agree to lift a ban that has been in place since 1969?

and why the ban?
congress acted after a disaster off Santa Barbara
when 3 million gallons of crude oil from an offshore
platform covered 35 miles of coastline.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bush wants to renew off shore drilling
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bush wants to renew off shore drilling
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) but ill bet the opposing side will not approve it

In reply to: Bush wants to renew off shore drilling

Collapse -
Local "do-gooders are screaming about wind generators

In reply to: but ill bet the opposing side will not approve it

being placed off shore. They are hollering that they will ruin the scenery and kill birds.Free speech is one of our "rights" but then so is not listening. These "do-gooders" do good only for their own pocketbooks!!

Collapse -
That's Teddy Kennedy's viewpoint. There is nothing

In reply to: Local "do-gooders are screaming about wind generators

new about that. If Teddy can do it, why can't other people do the same?

Collapse -
I think...

I think Congress imposed the drilling moratorium in 1981.

Collapse -
About time

1969 was long time ago. There is off shore drilling in many places in the world. It is safe and we need to do it.

Congress needs to stop blocking this.

Collapse -
Yep. Hurricane Katrina

In reply to: About time

Didn't cause any spills. I think they've improved things since then

Collapse -
I think a much bigger threat to the environment...//

In reply to: Yep. Hurricane Katrina

would be from shipping oil thousands of miles across oceans in tankers than transporting it a few miles from an offshore rig. Not to mention the waste of energy and emissions caused by oil tankers.

Collapse -
The Democrats won't...............

.....give President Bush leave to go to the bathroom, let alone anything
that might be reasonable and necessary.

Collapse -
So then we punish them....

In reply to: The Democrats won't...............

at the polls. That's something they understand.

Collapse -
Let's roll

Sooner or later it maybe lifted, but we did alright so far, haven't we? It doesn't appear we need it so bad, it just has to be lifted. No, it seems the Sr. Bush wants to payback his buddies and get this off their back. It seems oil spectaculars probably pushed oil into high prices as the real threat and not simply a shortage. There will be a shortage, but let's make it a real one and why not learn to deal with it now rather than later. Techiques and technology have to be in place when the real oil shortage comes about and IMHO, it looks far like let's get what we can and not work on solutions for little oil. Remember the energy bills, etc. in the '70 with Prez. Carter, they got dumped once oil returned. Just think if in those 30+ yrs. what we could had in place by now on a grander scale in real usage. Rather than lab projects or small scale research still in practice. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
If Bush really wanted the ban lifted

why didn't he call for it when the Republicans were in charge of Congress?

Diana

Collapse -
(NT) well the balls in the dems court

In reply to: If Bush really wanted the ban lifted

Collapse -
Perhaps...

Perhaps because the price of crude hadn't yet hit the levels of today. I did a quick Google and came up with:
"From the mid-1980s to September 2003, the inflation adjusted price of a barrel of crude oil on NYMEX was generally under $25/barrel. During 2004, the price rose above $40, then $50. A series of events led the price to exceed $60 by August 11, 2005, briefly exceed $75 in the middle of 2006, fall back to $60/barrel by the early part of 2007, then rise steeply to $92/barrel by October 2007 and $99.29/barrel for December futures in New York on November 21, 2007.[1] Throughout the first half of 2008, oil regularly reached record high prices. On February 29, 2008, oil prices peaked at $103.05 per barrel,[2] and reached $110.20 on March 12, 2008,[3] the sixth record in seven trading days.[4][5] Prices on June 27, 2008, touched $141.71/barrel, for August delivery in the New York Mercantile Exchange (after the recent $140.56/barrel), amid Libya's threat to cut output, and OPEC's president predicted prices may reach $170 by the Northern summer.[6][7] The most recent price per barrel maximum of $147.02 was reached on July 11, 2008."

Collapse -
Didn't affect Texas. Why couldn't...

...California, Florida and Louisana do the same thing Texas did? Well, there's a pretty good explanation for California (San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc.), Florida can't even count votes and Louisana can't even take care of their own...like Texas has most of Louisana's people over in Texas...Section 8 housing etc, and all the other accompaning State paid Medicade welfare perks. They "made their beds"...let'em lie in it.

Collapse -
Bush's action is long overdue.

Will Congress now lift its ban? Almost certainly not. Commenting on the reasons for that would simply get this post deleted.

Collapse -
Am not aware of fine print, but........

....I believe McCain's call for off shore drilling provides that individual
States retain the final word for their areas. If or not this is included in
the Bush approach, l don't know.

I also don't know "how far" off shore an individual State might have authority.

Collapse -
I don't either

In reply to: Am not aware of fine print, but........

Collapse -
I think...

In reply to: I don't either

I think I remember an article mentioning 6 miles. If it were something like the 200 miles mentioned as an international limit there could be a problem with that distance as a state limit. Especially on the east coast or Gulf, such a limit could include more than one state, and then you might have confusion or conflict with the wishes of the states involved.

Collapse -
Yep, I wondered about that

In reply to: I think...

I was just thinking there could be overlap.

Collapse -
What's the problem? Texas has offshore drilling. They're...

...going full bore, "pedal to the metal" with offshore drilling...as we type this message.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.