General discussion

Bush makes lackluster choice

John Negroponte to be director of national intelligence.

Apparently three guys had already turned him down for it.

Dan

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Bush makes lackluster choice
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Bush makes lackluster choice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
re

what i understand its a job overlooking 15 other agencies.

on the radio i heard man talking i forget name if it works he wont be a hero but if sh*t happens its his head.

big responceibility

- Collapse -
That's right

It will take a more prominent, more respected person to get the job done.

Dan

- Collapse -
From what I've heard....

..... he is very respected, and a very talented diplomat. I suspect those skills will come in mighty handy in dealing with the various agencies that would like to guard their turf.

As you know, a big surprise was that he would be leaving his post as our ambassador to Iraq, no easy job in itself. His resume is not one that is lackluster.

Of course, negative things about him will surface- they always do.

But again, the initial response was very good from all of the pundits I heard.

Angeline

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

- Collapse -
'very good'?

I would choose 'fitting but with some caveats' as a better description of the responses I've heard.

Dan

- Collapse -
well time will tell

i trust my president to pick a good person for the job

- Collapse -
Don't be so sure, Dan.

As Angeline points out, Mr. Negroponte's a career diplomat - and he'll need every ounce of his diplomacy to rein in this assemblage of conflicting empires. Whoever said herding cats is easy? Devil

I also heard that the path will be made much straighter for him IF President Bush puts the word out - now - that the law has made Mr. Negroponte the end arbiter of these disputes, and that he and he alone controls the purse strings of the intelligence apparatus.

From all reports, the President seems to get this; his remarks this morning that it will be Mr. Negroponte who will personally brief the President each morning would seem to make the point. Now, all that's needed is for Mr. Negroponte to crack the whip when required - and for the White House to back him up - and this reorganization will get off the ground well.

My thought is: If we must have this post that it be akin to the role that the chief of Britain's MI-6 has always had: that of the unchallenged, authoritative voice of the intelligence community. I believe that the administration sees this to be the case as well...

- Collapse -
Defined how? or by whom?
...more prominent, more respected person ...

Prominent? not all capable people enjoy spotlights like Hollywood stars. Some prefer to do the job without the glare.

More respected? by whom? general public (who knows little about any of those asked I bet, including me)?

More respected by the existing intelligence community? They're so busy squabbling over turf and scrambling for more of the funding and power pies they'll "respect" no-one that isn't from their clique.

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) How many applicants?
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i beleave 3 others turned it down

CNET Forums

Forum Info