HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Bush is not ethical according to christians

by Dan McC / September 2, 2004 4:59 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bush is not ethical according to christians
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bush is not ethical according to christians
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Planned Parenthood under scrutiny
by Dragon / September 2, 2004 11:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
Ummm, that's against the law. If they did it, they should
by Kiddpeat / September 2, 2004 3:07 PM PDT

be scrutinized. Even churches have to avoid taking sides because of tax exempt status.

Collapse -
Re: Bush is not ethical according to christians
by dirtyrich / September 2, 2004 12:46 PM PDT

And these men speak for all Christians everywhere...

Collapse -
I dissagree, they sure don't
by Dan McC / September 2, 2004 10:30 PM PDT

Why would you propose that idea?

But they are among the most learned christians and study ethics and related matters.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yah, the cream of the crop, thoughtful leaders
by netsky / September 2, 2004 10:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
Why would he propose such an idea ...
by Evie / September 2, 2004 10:39 PM PDT

... probably because of your subject line missing a qualifier like "some" or "some learned" in front of Christians.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're right, he shouldn't skim. Thanks.
by Dan McC / September 2, 2004 11:04 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Blaming others for your mistake doesn't cut it
by Evie / September 2, 2004 11:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
You're the one who indicated he only read the subject line
by Dan McC / September 2, 2004 11:17 PM PDT

I'm just going with your interpretation of his activities.

Dan

Collapse -
No ...
by Evie / September 2, 2004 11:39 PM PDT

... I said that's where he got the idea.

Collapse -
But, by extension, you must agree
by Dan McC / September 2, 2004 11:45 PM PDT
In reply to: No ...

that a thorough reading of the full content would have disabused him of that notion.

Dan

Collapse -
I think I see where the confusion comes from
by Josh K / September 3, 2004 12:34 AM PDT

It's like the thread in which I suggested that if you believe the "swift boat" allegations against John Kerry, then you must also think that Bush is either wrong or lying when he says Kerry served his country admirably.

Although Bush didn't qualify his statement, Toni tried to do it for him.

So apparently sometimes exact words are what you go by, but at other times you can just guess what the speaker might possibly have meant based on your own personal bias and that's OK.

Collapse -
You are reaching here Josh
by Evie / September 3, 2004 12:37 AM PDT

It's pretty clear that dirtyrich needs no clarification by me that he was responding to Dan's misleading subject title. See here

Collapse -
Doesn't mean ...
by Evie / September 3, 2004 12:38 AM PDT

... he is prevented from commenting on YOUR misleading subject line. Indeed he has also clarified that and you should make any further responses to him in this thread.

Collapse -
It also doesn't mean
by Dan McC / September 3, 2004 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Doesn't mean ...

that we don't appreciate your efforts to clear things up, Evie.

Thanks!

Dan

Collapse -
Re: I dissagree, they sure don't
by dirtyrich / September 2, 2004 11:35 PM PDT

I was sarcasm...and I was commenting on your topic.
Moreover...these professors teach at "generally" conservative religious universities, which, considering the state of academia right now, could mean that only 70% or so of the faculty are registered Democrats.
The fact is that there are multiple motivations for this letter, ranging from a simple political attack to a bunch of guys who resent the campaign's attempt to work with the churches, and yes, maybe even they do truly and only believe it has to do with ethics.
But to qualify for a topic line of
"Bush is not ethical according to christians"...
no.

Collapse -
Re: I disagree, they sure don't
by Dan McC / September 3, 2004 1:18 AM PDT

Your comment regarding the makeup of the academic community might be correct, but it can hardly be applied to christian educational institutions. I think we can all agree that this population would be considerably less moderate than the academic community at 'general purpose' institutions.

The two of the three reasons you cite are pretty good ones and most likely apply well beyond the list of signatories.

Dan

Collapse -
Re: I disagree, they sure don't
by dirtyrich / September 3, 2004 6:30 AM PDT

Not sure how far out of college you are, but I'm only 3 years out, and while I was there the school newspaper polled the professors at our school for their political affiliations. Only two departments, economics and business management, were mostly Republican, and there were close to 10 that had no registered Republicans in them. From what I've read in the news and heard from friends, most schools with liberal arts programs have the same tendency.
Not sure abotu religious schools myself, but I doubt that they are as conservative as many think...in my opinion, its another incidence of people assuming Christians are automatically conservative.

Collapse -
Look at the cirricula ...
by Evie / September 3, 2004 6:50 AM PDT

... at elite religious institutions of higher education and the writings of the professors. They are often further to the left (think DK's frequent references to Jesus' real message of economic justice) than most academics!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
I find this funny...............
by Glenda / September 3, 2004 4:12 AM PDT

after calling Christians delusional for our beliefs in Christ and the Bible, YOU want to use some Christians thoughts on President Bush?? Wait!! Maybe they are just brainwashed and have no clue what they are saying!! LOL
Glenda

Collapse -
You must be having delusions
by Dan McC / September 7, 2004 12:25 AM PDT

Show me where I said christians are delusional.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Apology accepted. Thank you.
by Dan McC / September 8, 2004 4:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
NO apology offered!
by Glenda / September 8, 2004 5:48 AM PDT

You berate Christians in any thread that starts on that subject!
Glenda

Collapse -
Ahhhhh....now you change your accusation
by Dan McC / September 8, 2004 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: NO apology offered!

I'm glad you've given up on that delusional accusation.

OK, when did I berate christians?

Dan

Collapse -
Their prayers have been answered:
by drpruner / September 4, 2004 2:37 PM PDT

Near the end of the Post article I read: "The ethicists' letter said that 'Christians, individually, should prayerfully seek God's direction when voting,'"

If they have Bibles, their prayers for God's direction have been answered:

As to choosing a human to lead other humans in any serious endeavor, they have Jer 10:23; 17:9; Pr 20:24.

As to 'choosing up sides,' one country over another, they have Dan 2:44,45; Mt 6:10,33; Rev 4:11; 16:14,16.

As to choosing a Commander in Chief, assigning him the right to send them off to kill other Christians, they have Joh 13:34,35.

Regards, Doug in New Mexico

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.