Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Bush administration seeks special discrimination rights

by Dan McC / August 23, 2004 3:06 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bush administration seeks special discrimination rights
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bush administration seeks special discrimination rights
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd be happy if
by TONI H / August 23, 2004 5:16 AM PDT

they all had to start paying taxes for crying out loud.

TONI

Collapse -
That would be fascinating to attempt
by Dan McC / August 23, 2004 5:32 AM PDT
In reply to: I'd be happy if

They sure do own some valuable property, don't they? i wonder what the property tax on St. Patrick's cathedral in NYC would be?

Dan

Collapse -
Re: That would be fascinating to attempt
by TONI H / August 23, 2004 5:46 AM PDT

Not just the Catholics....think about Evangalists and every backwoods church finally having to pay their own share. Billions, and billions that would go into our economy for a change instead of out of our taxable pockets and into their non-taxable bank accounts every sermon.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: That would be fascinating to attempt
by Josh K / August 23, 2004 6:17 AM PDT

The Crystal Cathedral would become the Tupperware Tent if that happened, as well it should.

Collapse -
The 11th Commandment
by Catgic / August 23, 2004 6:40 AM PDT

If thou feeds from Ceasar's trough, thou must follow Ceasar's rules.

Collapse -
I hadn't thought about the televangelists
by Dan McC / August 23, 2004 6:53 AM PDT

This could turn into real money. Some of those are scams that turn a tidy profit.

Dan

Collapse -
Hey, that would provide the money Kerry's looking for!
by Kiddpeat / August 23, 2004 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: I'd be happy if

Let's tax the ACLU, American Heart Association, American Cancer Society, Muscular Dystrophy Association, Red Cross, NOW, Girl Scouts, Boys Club of America, and all the other nonprofits we can find. I'm sure we'll find lots of money, and lots of other organizations.

Oh, by the way, the churches. The First Amendment prohibits the state from interfering with the free exercise of religion. With taxes, the state could tax the church out of existence. Thus, church taxes would violate the First Amendment. I would, however, like to see the ACLU pay some taxes.

Collapse -
ACLU?
by Dan McC / August 23, 2004 6:59 AM PDT

Why would you be so mad at them that they get mentioned twice?

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) because I know they will be thrilled to pay taxes.
by Kiddpeat / August 23, 2004 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: ACLU?
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Whatever
by Dan McC / August 23, 2004 8:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
I don't want to interfere
by TONI H / August 23, 2004 7:11 AM PDT

with their free exercise of religion....and I don't see how taxing them would interfere with them standing on the podium to preach whatever they feel the need to say. They bring in income, why not make them pay just like us if they want the same rights and freedoms we have since they want us to PRACTICE what they preach? They don't seem to have a problem with taking our money that we already have to pay taxes on....including tithing a fix percentage of it...so why shouldn't they have to also pay taxes on that income?

The Catholic Church sends my daughter a bill every year based on what they THINK my daughter should pay for the right to go to their church (it's not just a voluntary, whatever you can afford each Sunday goes into the basket anymore) plus she gets a bill from them for their kids to go to their schools. Some of her neighbors send their kids to public schools and they still get a bill from the church for educational fees and they are expected to pay it just because they live in the church jurisdiction. The neighbors were told when they complained that their kids don't go to their schools so they shouldn't have to pay the bill that if they didn't pay it, their kids wouldn't be able to go to any of the catechism classes for their first communion, etc. Excuse me????

TONI

Collapse -
If government can tax the church, then they can tax
by Kiddpeat / August 23, 2004 7:26 AM PDT

it out of existence. It's also a drain on church resources which would be interfering with the 'free exercise'.

I can't answer for the Catholic Church. All of the churches I've ever gone to are based on voluntary donations. However, taxing their contributions would be pointless. It would only serve to increase the cost to the parishioners. It would also be discriminatory unless all nonprofits are taxed.

Collapse -
How would it
by TONI H / August 23, 2004 7:45 AM PDT

increase the cost to parishioners? Most churches (maybe not the Catholic ones) have parishioners who volunteer their services to build or add on so only the materials have to be paid for. Similar to 'barn building'.........

TONI

Collapse -
because they would have to pay a new expense: taxes.
by Kiddpeat / August 23, 2004 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: How would it

Where do they get that from? The parishioners.

Collapse -
Guess they could argue
by Dragon / August 23, 2004 10:35 AM PDT

that the money has already been taxed once thats been given to the church.

Frankly, I think there is a lot of wasted money going into a hole for nothing. But they dont know that. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.