Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Burning MPEG-2 to DVD so they are watchable on DVD players

by cottonwoodpass / January 25, 2007 7:11 AM PST

Hey,

I have a bunch of Mpeg 2 files that I would like to watch on my TV, is there aany free software out there that lets you burn files to DVDs so they are viewable on the tv? Thanks for any help,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Burning MPEG-2 to DVD so they are watchable on DVD players
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Burning MPEG-2 to DVD so they are watchable on DVD players
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nearly free.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2007 9:40 AM PST

DVDSanta does this even in it's demo mode. Try it. If it's not worth 25 bucks to you, I don't know of anything cheaper.

Bob

Collapse -
DVDbuilder
by cottonwoodpass / January 25, 2007 9:44 AM PST
In reply to: Nearly free.
Collapse -
(NT) How did it work for you?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2007 10:12 AM PST
In reply to: DVDbuilder
Collapse -
not too good
by cottonwoodpass / January 25, 2007 10:15 AM PST

its very confusing, freezes in the middle, and apparently isn't free, you need to buy it to get the full feature set, even though it says its toatlly free

Collapse -
What came with your DVD burner?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2007 10:24 AM PST
In reply to: not too good

Did DVDSanta fare any better? If not, then I wonder if there are other issues.

Bob

Collapse -
Would you know if...........
by KennyV_san_07 / October 27, 2013 5:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Nearly free.

Was wondering if you knew whether converting a dvd compliant mpeg2 to ISO, then burning would render a playable dvd file? My assumption is yes, but im just uncertain. Ive been using Any Video Converter by AVS software for some time, but only a few times have I run into the issue of AVC taking too long (longer than 2 hours) to burn my dvd ready media (already converted from original file) to a blank dvd. I also know that AVC generates an ISO file prior to burning, but the first thing it does is create a dvd folder, and Im not sure if this is necessary. Any help/advice is much appreciated

Collapse -
No. ISO is one thing, Video DVD is something else.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2013 6:51 AM PDT

This one is an easy no.

But even this needs a new and better/longer discussion. That is, I prefer to create the .ISO to burn from since I can test out the .ISO with VLC Player to see if that's what I wanted.

I would be guessing you were really complaining about the time it takes to create these. For that I think it's just a matter of sheer horsepower. My first DVD creations were on an Acer ter-600 and it was 6 hours to make a dvd. Today it's under 20 minutes.
Bob

Collapse -
video dvd maker free
by glennlee / January 25, 2007 2:36 PM PST

Get "video dvd maker free" here. They sell a "pro" version, but the free version is offered half way down the page. Works with most source files including avi, mpeg2, wmv. Rendering is slow but sure. Takes about 3 times as long as your file run time, but is very sure footed. Get it here:

http://www.videodvdmaker.com/

Collapse -
crashes
by cottonwoodpass / January 28, 2007 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: video dvd maker free

hmm, I tried this, but during rendering it always crashes...

Collapse -
Check the system requiremnts
by glennlee / January 28, 2007 6:38 AM PST
In reply to: crashes

Check the system requirements. You may be under-powered for video file handling.

Collapse -
Since everything crashes I think your machine has issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2007 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: crashes

It could be anything from overheating to bad ram.

Bob

Collapse -
another one
by cottonwoodpass / January 29, 2007 12:34 AM PST
http://www.cucusoft.com/DVD-Burner.asp

the trial worked great for me, but there are a few major flaws:

no menu system
only able to put one video file on, waste of good DVD space
so unless there is a way to combine files, this one's out for me
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?