TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Burning DVDs from VHS - Problem

by Esw88 / November 18, 2005 9:00 PM PST

I purchased, with my computer, software and hardware called "Dazzle Digital Video Creator 80". The software is "Pinnacle Studio Quickstart for Video Editing". The hardware allows you to connect a VCR to the computer, and capture your video. When that is done the video can be edited and then burned to a DVD. The problem is the quality is poor. I now realize that the capture resolution is only 320 X 240 pixels. Pinnacle says I can upgrade to "Dazzle 90" which has a higher capture resolution. Adobe says it is the software that determines the capture resolution, not the hardware, and if I buy "Premiere Elements" I will get better quality. Any opinions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Burning DVDs from VHS - Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Burning DVDs from VHS - Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't know what computer system you have, but...
by Art / November 19, 2005 4:46 PM PST

my guess in this case it maybe both hardware and software. I might also add that premiere element won't do you much good here. Have you thought of getting a dvd recorder? The price are certainly dropping down to where even I can afford it now.

Collapse -
by Esw88 / November 19, 2005 9:47 PM PST

I have a DVD recorder, but I would like to do some editing on my PC before burning a DVD. My PC is a Dell 4700, Media Edition.

Collapse -
Here is how I edit my recorded video.
by Art / November 20, 2005 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: Re:

I use "DvdShrink". However I do have problem using dvdshrink for multiple session recording so now I just use single session if I think I am going to edit the video (using dvd+/-RW media).

Collapse -
RE: Capture Rate
by Esw88 / November 19, 2005 10:57 PM PST

I guess my question really is: Is the capture rate determined by the piece of hardware used to connect the VCR to the PC, OR the software OR both?

Collapse -
I am no expert...
by Art / November 20, 2005 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: RE: Capture Rate

so I won't/can'T answer the question but I can tell you about my experience with this. My computer speed is 733mhz. with 512mb ram. I installed a pci capture card; the resolution was so bad (worst than what you are getting now). I now have an external USB2 capturing device made by Adaptec (dvd media center) which I can get dvd resolution but I can't use this computer for video (no multi-tasking).

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?