Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

Burning DVDs?

Dec 21, 2008 3:22AM PST

I've been tring to burn a WMV file to a DVD so I can play it on my TV. I found some software that would allow me to do this and I downloaded the free versions. Most don't even work. The few that do work (For exaple ConvertX.) don't have audio when playing on the TV. I checked, and there are video files but an empty audio folder. Is the software I'm using bad? If so, do you know of any software that works? Or is there a way to correct the problem? I'm using DVD+R. I have a new Sony Blu-Ray player. If you need any more details just ask.

Thanks!!

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
A compliant DVD will have an empty audio
Dec 21, 2008 3:41AM PST

folder. That is a leftover from an old standard but is still considered as part of the DVD. Most DVD players can play a DVD even if it is not there. An WMV file is not considered a DVD standard file, so give a true authoring program a try. DVDFlick is free and should be able to do what you want. It can take a WMV file, convert it and then burn the DVD for you. All with a few clicks. Give it a try. If you still have problems, then come back with the details as to what happened.

- Collapse -
WMV can be copy protected so
Dec 21, 2008 3:46AM PST

Avoid that if you can. In closing, I see DVD FLICK supports (most) WMV files. But that won't work if any DRM is involved.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks for the replys.
Dec 21, 2008 3:52AM PST

I know it's not DRM protected. I'll try DVD flick and post the outcome.

- Collapse -
I tried DVD flick
Dec 21, 2008 7:50AM PST

and it was the best software I've used so far. But there is still no audio when playing on the TV (The video is fine.) The DVD also plays perfectly on the PC. So, again, I looked and there is an audio file, but it is empty. If it helps, what I am tring to burn is a YouTube video I downloaded. I converted it from FLV to WMV, but I can convert it to the format which best suits what I am tring to do.

- Collapse -
Locking. Sorry.
Dec 21, 2008 7:52AM PST

Youtube video is not available as a download in most cases. In fact it's a violation of the use agreement. Since our forum policy forbids getting around such agreements, this discussion ends quickly.