Computer Help forum

General discussion

burning drive

by buckeye96 / June 9, 2004 6:12 AM PDT

I have windows xp on my desktop. I have a dvd player - drive e: and a cd burner - drive f:. I installed MusicMatch so I could record tapes and burn them to cd however when I installed that program it made my burning drive "disappear." The computer no longer "sees" my f: drive. I've emailed MusicMatch for the past month but they just had me download some "fixes" that never worked. The burning drive was working fine with the original Nero buring program, but not now. I've tried re-installing, uninstalling, etc. The f: drive just isn't recognized. Any suggestions on how I can get my burning drive back?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: burning drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: burning drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"The f:-drive just isn't recognized."
by Kees Bakker / June 9, 2004 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: burning drive

Does the IDE-screen of the BIOS recognise it?
And does it appear in the listing of IDE-devices appearing during the boot?
And does My Computer recognise it?
These are 2 or 3 different things.

Try switching dvd-player and cd-burner. Note the master and slave settings (unless you've a modern 80 ribbon cable select). Also try cd-burner alone as master with dvd-player disconnected?
Is the drive recognised in these situations? By My Computer or Windows Explorer? By Musicmatch? By Nero (reinstall it for sake of research)?

If you tell something more about the outcome of these observations/experiments it might help to get effective help.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: "The f:-drive just isn't recognized."
by buckeye96 / June 14, 2004 2:21 AM PDT

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked in BIOS and it is listed there along with the dvd drive. When I boot I don't see a list of any devices--it goes straight to windows. "My Computer" shows my dvd drive but not the cd-rw. I uninstalled musicmatch, re-installed Nero but cdrw still is not recognized by windows. I uninstalled Nero, reinstalled musicmatch--same problem. The only difference now is an error message pops up that says my burning drive is not detected "code 22." I went to device options in the control panel screen where it shows a cd-rw and my dvd. when i went enable driver that "code 22" pops-up and windows says it cannot enable the drive.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2004 2:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / June 14, 2004 3:35 AM PDT
y'all....

1. The Compact Disc File System (CDFS) for Windows can read compact discs (CDs) formatted according to the ISO 9660 file system standard to include Joliet. The ISO 9660 specification defines three methods or interchange levels for recording and naming files on a CD and Windows supports up to interchange level 3.

Note: CDFS does not support the Rock Ridge Interchange Protocol extensions to ISO 9660 and reads only the ISO 9660 structure on such discs.

2. If the CD-ROM drive is compatible, the system can also read CDs recorded under the following standards:

a. Red Book (CD-Audio), including Enhanced CD

b. Yellow Book (CD-ROM)

c. CD-XA

d. White Book (Video CD)

e. Photo CD

f. Orange Book Part II (CD-recordable, including multisession) and Part III (CD-Rewritable)

g. Blue Book (CD Extra)

Note: A special program or player may be necessary to interpret the information on CD-XA, White Book, and Photo CDs. In addition, Windows cannot read CD-R or CD-RW discs that have not been closed by the writing software.

3. When a CD-ROM is inserted into a CD or DVD drive, it may not run automatically. This can occur because the Autorun.inf file and the programs that the Autorun.inf file is designed to run is not executed if the user is not logged on to Windows with either Power User or Administrator rights. By default, only users who are logged on to Windows with either of these rights are allowed to install software (an .inf file extension is considered to be a setup information files and therefore, the file is not executed), [Q314855].

a. Autoplay tab Missing and CD's Don't Autoplay: Since registered components on a system is invoked using the Shell Hardware Detection service and also because non-volume handlers are invoked through it, this service cannot be deactivated. If it is, a user may find they have no access to or can they use either Volume-based or Non-volume-based devices.

b. The primary purpose of Autoplay is to provide a software response to hardware actions initiated by the user on a machine. This feature remained roughly the same from Win95 though W2K and WinME because up until recently there have been very few new scenarios with regard to user-initiated hardware events that could trigger a useful Autoplay action. But lately, with the spread of digital multimedia content (music, graphics, and video) and of the many devices to generate or consume that content, many new scenarios are begging for expansion. In addition to refining the existing Autorun.INF mechanism, audio CD Autoplays, and DVD video Autoplay, support has been added to handle digital music (WMA/MP3), graphics, video, CD burning, video cameras, and other hardware devices.

c. If you've installed software from a CD, you've used an Autorun.INF which the majority of the setup CDs use. The typical user scenario is: a CD is inserted into the CD drive, the setup program runs automatically, and the user simply follows the on-screen instructions generated by the setup software. The Autorun.INF file sample section follows the typical format similar to the following where the first line contains the self-executing Exe file which also contains the text string for an icon. In addition, there could also be values of UseAutoPlay (when present, it will take precedence over the open and ShellExecute values and is intended primarily for use with multimedia content for which Autoplay support was added to Windows XP), label (used to represent the associated drive in the Windows shell), and ShellExecute (works with file associations to run the application associated with the specified file):

[autorun]
open=StartCD.exe
icon=StartCD.exe,-1456

4. When determining what actions to suggest or perform in response to an event, Autoplay on WinXP considers the event in conjunction with the various programs registered on a computer. In contrast before, it would always statically run the same application pointed to in the Autorun.INF file, or play an Audio CD or DVD movie using the respective default application. Now, two categories of events are handled:

Volume-based device events are events that affect devices that appear as volumes -- that is, all disk drives accessible via Windows file system APIs. This includes CD drives, removable disk drives, hard disk drives, removable media readers, and mass storage devices. Basically, if it shows up under My Computer with a drive letter, it's a volume-based device.

Non-volume-based devices include, well, everything else. Specific examples of these devices include digital video cameras and portable music players that do not expose their content as a file system supported by WinXP. This does not mean that all video cameras and portable music players are non-volume devices. For example, newer digital cameras and portable music players that use the USB Mass Storage stack are treated as volume devices since they appear to the system as volumes. Digital camera devices which are non-volume devices get special treatment from Windows. Even though they are non-volume devices, they are handled by the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) component for backward compatibility reasons.

5. The file AutoPlay.exe (62KB) provides some insight into the Shell Hardware Detection service processing of hardware events which listens for updates to the %SystemRoot%\Autoplay.log file and dumps the changes to its edit box. This tool is mostly useful for diagnosing non-volume Autoplay problems, but it can also be used in some cases to trace volume operations.

6. Q310123 lists 33 error codes that may be reported by Device Manager and provides possible resolutions. A TechNet article covers up to 49.

7. Use the Windows Drivers and Network Adapters troubleshooter.

8. The article [Q321641] describes how you can troubleshoot issues reading CD-ROM or DVD-ROM optical discs and discusses how to troubleshoot common issues with CD-R and CD-RW devices.

9. The article [Q824894] describes issues that may occur if your CD-ROM or DVD drive is not configured correctly, the program CD-ROM or DVD is damaged or dirty, or the Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) installation is damaged, and suggest troubleshooting tips which may assist.

10. The article [Q324129] describes how to troubleshoot issues such as the following that occur if you write data to compact disc recordable (CD-R) and compact disc re-writable (CD-RW) optical discs and how to troubleshoot issues with CD-R and CD-RW drives:

You may receive various disc write error messages.
You may experience issues with the drive and the built-in recording feature of Windows XP
You may experience issues with third-party programs that you use to write data to the disc.

11. Supplemental reading:

a. "DMA Mode for ATA/ATAPI Devices in Windows XP."
b. "Device Settings Are Hard to Find in Windows (Q247426)."
c. "HOW TO: Manage Devices in Windows XP (Q283658)."
d. "Add or Remove a Windows Component in Windows XP (Q307894)."
e. "Troubleshooting Device Conflicts with Device Manager (Q310126)."
f. "TweakUI Not on Windows XP CD-ROM (Q310176)."
g. "CD Audio Is Played Even Though an Audio Cable Is Not Connected to Your CD-ROM Drive (Q310439)."
h. "How to Disable a Service or Device that Prevents Windows from Starting (Q310602)."
i. "Your Computer May Stop Responding After You Remove Either a CD-ROM Drive or a DVD Drive from the Drive Bay (Q310664)."
j. "Windows XP Hangs When You Try to Install Programs (Q313554)."
k. "CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator (Q314060)."
l. "How to Troubleshoot CD-ROM Drive Problems in Windows XP (Q314096)."
m. "Incorrect Contents Are Displayed in Windows Explorer (Q314939)."
n. "Your IEEE 1394 or USB CD-ROM or DVD-ROM Drive May Not Be Recognized in Windows XP (Q323507)."

Bill Gaston

Pardon ma ACKsent, ah'm frum Austin, Tex_As, USA

....its been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway,' but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!