Computer Help forum

General discussion

Burning 800 MB CD-Rom??

by metalmaniac / November 15, 2004 5:59 PM PST

Hello all!!

I have bought myself a bunch of 800 MB cd-roms, but when I try to burn a file that is 704 MB, it says that there is not enough space on the cd to do it. It says that there is only 702 MB available on the cd!! How come?! I don't understand anything..the disks were supposed to be 800..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Burning 800 MB CD-Rom??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Burning 800 MB CD-Rom??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) With what software? You didn't tell, I can't help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2004 8:55 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: Burning 800 MB CD-Rom??
by Yew / November 15, 2004 9:49 PM PST

Not all CD burners (or software for that matter) can use 800MB CDs. You should have checked this before buying anything. Sounds like you just spent a bunch of extra money on 800MB CDs for use in a drive that can only handle 700MB CDs.

Collapse -
by Rake / November 16, 2004 12:54 AM PST

The guys at Roxio say only support standards and that meand the 700MB barrier is still unbroken from where they stand.

With Nero you need to go to Expert Features under preferences and enable overburn (and set 99 min, though it's not a good idea to try 99 min). When burning turn off multisession and always use disc-at-once.

Don't try file sizes beyond 719MB (a fabled limit - I find 717MB to be closer) on 700MB blanks. With 800MB blanks sizes around 796MB look good. Never try overburning a 800MB blank.

Beware of 860MB blanks. There are quite many drives out there that can't even read those disks.

Always check the drive specs - they usually state overburn capacity. Exceeding the limit can and will render your burner useless. In my own practice attempting burning 804MB resulted in a drive that could burn 620MB only - anything beyond margin was always found corrupt even if burning appeared to end successfully.

Collapse -
Overburn
by TONI H / November 16, 2004 1:53 AM PST

I have two copies/versions of EZCD creator installed...5 Platinum and 6 Platinum. 6 doesn't allow for overburns on cdr/w 700MB disks; however 5 does, and goes up to 760MB with no problems.

Even though 6 will require an uninstall of 5, I got around this issue by first installing 5 to the default C: location, then I copied the whole Roxio folder with the program .exe files in that folder to another partition.

Then I uninstalled 5 (it only found the original install location of C: ) and installed 6 to the default location of C:

Then I opened the copied Roxio folder on my partition, and dragged a shortcut of the VCD.exe program to my QuickLaunch along with shortcuts of the DVD burner program of 6 and other programs of 6. Now when I want to create a VCD that is larger than 700MB and want it to fit on one cd without splitting it, I use the EZCD 5 version to do so, since that version uses the same system .dll files, etc. that 6 uses and it finds them in the default system folder just fine.

I own EZCD 4, 5 Platinum, and 6 Platinum all legally registered, and got ticked off that I couldn't supposedly use any of the older versions when they each have different features that I like that weren't included in the newer versions, and found a way to work around it.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: Overburn in CDBurnerXP...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 2:00 AM PST
In reply to: Overburn

CDBurnerXP will be my only need for CD and DVD recording (not video!) if he ever implements a CD Copy function, but it does overburn!

" P: It is possible to make overburn?
R: Yes. It adds given until the o it has limited and it ignores the error messages that will go appearing. Care, some recorders do not give themselves well with these operations and the laser can deliver the soul to the creator. More valley to spend plus a COMPACT DISC..."
- Translated content from their FAQ...

Bob

Collapse -
by metalmaniac / November 16, 2004 2:35 AM PST

" The guys at Roxio say only support standards and that meand the 700MB barrier is still unbroken from where they stand."

----> I don't understand what that comment is supposed to mean? :-O

"With Nero you need to go to Expert Features under preferences and enable overburn (and set 99 min, though it's not a good idea to try 99 min). When burning turn off multisession and always use disc-at-once.

Don't try file sizes beyond 719MB (a fabled limit - I find 717MB to be closer) on 700MB blanks. With 800MB blanks sizes around 796MB look good. Never try overburning a 800MB blank.

Beware of 860MB blanks. There are quite many drives out there that can't even read those disks.

Always check the drive specs - they usually state overburn capacity. Exceeding the limit can and will render your burner useless. In my own practice attempting burning 804MB resulted in a drive that could burn 620MB only - anything beyond margin was always found corrupt even if burning appeared to end successfully."

----> Thanks for the answer. I don't know which brand my cd-burner is, but I guess it doesn't support 800 mb disks then..Since it seems that it treats them as ordinary 700 mb disks. My burner is at least 3? years old (bought my pc 3? years ago) so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.. I'm using Nero 5,5,5,6 or something like that.

So I obviously have to go buy a burner that supports 800, and preferrably 900 mb disks??

Collapse -
by Yew / November 16, 2004 3:09 AM PST

Don't bother with CD burners if you're looking to burn that much. There are cheap and decent DVD burners out there now. There's the NEC 3500A (OEM) which is a 16X DVD burner with dual layer support, going for about $80. Each blank DVD can hold ~4.37GB of data. They can also burn CDs just fine.

If you need to burn more than about 700MB at a time, it's time to investigate getting a DVD burner.

Collapse -
Good USB dvd-burner?
by metalmaniac / November 16, 2004 7:36 AM PST

Sounds pretty neat!! What does dual layer support mean? :-O

I'm probably going for a USB DVD-burner beacuse this is much easier for me to install..hehe. Anyone can recommend me a good one for the job?

Collapse -
by Rake / November 16, 2004 4:09 AM PST

I was just being cute. No Roxio product I've had has ever supported overburn. Reference to standard came from their FAQ.

With Nero the disk will be recognized as 700MB one - except that you can use overburn to write to it's full capacity. And *not* unless you use the settings I mentioned.

Now if this is about VCDs I just step off the soapbox because I've never even seen one.

Most of my drives shipped with Nero, but I avoided it like a plague for a pretty long while because it used to mess with ASPI layer or whatever it's called. Then again, after the first 704MB burn I never looked back. then again, they say the latest Roxio runs circles around Nero when it comes to DVD burning. FWIW: I use Nero 5.5.10.35 for that and gave up on 6.x.x.x

Collapse -
by metalmaniac / November 16, 2004 7:40 AM PST

oh..Roxio is some kind of burning program in the same vein as Nero or what?

Are you saying that Nero everytime will recognise any cd as a 700 MB one, even though it's much bigger than that? Perhaps I should consider getting myself another program then?

hehe I'm not making a VCD. Unless burning an .avi-file on a cd is what that means..I don't know?

I'm sorry for sounding like such a noob.. HAHA!

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 7:49 AM PST

In Rake's first post he said this;

"With Nero you need to go to Expert Features under preferences and enable overburn (and set 99 min, though it's not a good idea to try 99 min). When burning turn off multisession and always use disc-at-once.

Don't try file sizes beyond 719MB (a fabled limit - I find 717MB to be closer) on 700MB blanks. With 800MB blanks sizes around 796MB look good. Never try overburning a 800MB blank."

As you are using nero5.5, (which is the CD burning software), you could use it to burn your 704MB avi viseo onto a CD by going through the steps he said.

eg, with Nero open, goto Preferences, then Expert Features, and change the settings as he says.

Overburning can be a problem. It is to do with the laser burning tool inside the CD/R Player which can become faulty, but I have overburned myself a couple of times with no problems. I don't make a habit of it though.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.