General discussion

BurnAware Free won't burn to CD-RW

From CNet, I downloaded my latest update of BurnAware Free and tried to burn to a CD-RW disc in my CD-RW burner. It found the disc unsuitable and wanted a CD-R/RW disc. I used to use Roxio but lost it a couple of years back. Roxio used to identify the contents then allow me to erase and rewrite to these discs. Is there a difference between RW and R/RW?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: BurnAware Free won't burn to CD-RW
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: BurnAware Free won't burn to CD-RW
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
CD-R/RW?

That doesn't exist. It's either -R (burn once) or -RW (rewriteable) burn, erase and burn again).

In quite a lot of burning programs erasing a rewriteable CD is a separate step, apart from writing. You can't use the CD as a big floppy (unless, to a certain extent, you make it multi-session).
In that case, you're doing something wrong.

The other option is that the CD-burner (obviously an old one) is too old and needs to be replaced. That's a quite common thing. Or this is just a bad disk.

So, from your story, there are a lot of possibilities.

Kees

- Collapse -
Thanks Kees

Tried both blank and occupied CD-RWs in drive - drive will read them and copy from them but not burn to them. Wasn't trying to save to it as a floppy. The built-in Windows 'burner' at least recognizes the disc but won't burn to it either. However, since there's no way to test that the burner is kaput, it must be replaced. I just hate to favour a free download's opinion over an otherwise useful drive. Have a good day.

CNET Forums

Forum Info