Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Burn MP3s to CD-R using WMP 10

by rccoffee / February 27, 2007 11:26 AM PST

I have some old 78s which I wanted to rip and convert to MP3s to my hard drive. I didn't like or understand the Sony proprietary software on my new Win XP/Home PS2 so I bought Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 and printed instructions from EMC to connect the computer to the turntable. I also printed two very helpful articles from C/Net and did it. I can't believe I was actually able to do this.

Using WMP 10, I can see and listen to my MP3s. I have 20 songs, 16 of which I would like to burn to a CD-R. The songs total up to 1:01:18 for 73.43 MBs. The CD-R is only 80 minutes long for a total of 700 MBs.

This is where I am lost. My songs are 1 hour, 1 minute, 18 seconds long while the CD-R is good for 80 minutes which means, to me, that I have too many songs. But, if my songs are only 73.43 MBs long and the CD-R is good for 700 MBs, I could add songs.

Can anyone explain this to me? I am stumped. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Burn MP3s to CD-R using WMP 10
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Burn MP3s to CD-R using WMP 10
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Where will you be playing the cd-r?
by ktreb / February 27, 2007 11:36 AM PST

If you are playing it in regular cd players and not on your computer, you will want to burn an audio cd. Such a cd contains music that is uncompressed (you won't be getting better quality though). Because they are uncompressed, they can only hold about 80 minutes of music.

If you are burning an mp3 cd, you are maintaining the compression, so you can fit more on the cd - 700 mb. However, you can only play these cds on your computer or on certain cd players that can play mp3s.

Collapse -
Thank you ktreb
by rccoffee / February 27, 2007 12:10 PM PST

I just had a new CD player that plays MP3s (the box said so) to replace my casette player installed in the car. I've already played new music CDs in it and it sounds great but they aren't MP3s.

Since the songs are already compressed at 192 kbps (does this make any sense to you) on my hard drive, will I have too much space left on the CD-R? I have Fujifilm, CD-R (Maximum Performance and Archival Quality) that is 80 minutes, 700 MB, 1X to 48X). I think the 1X-48X refers to the speed at which the CD is burnt. I don't care how fast or slow the burn is only that it is perfect.

Thank you.

Collapse -
If you're only putting 16 songs on it
by ktreb / February 27, 2007 3:36 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you ktreb

You'll still have plenty of room left on the cd-r. You'll be barely using up 10% of the available capacity of the 700 mb cd-r. You only have to worry about the minutes if you are burning a regular audio cd. You can go either way.

But I didn't think Windows Media Player could burn mp3 cds, but I see Bob already addressed that issue with his link. Anyway, I use iTunes and it burns mp3 cds just fine but I don't do it often because I don't have an mp3 cd player. (I have an iPod, using an fm transmitter for my car)

I think you have to make sure you finalize the cd - by finalizing, you close the cd so that you can't add anything else to it and is what makes it playable on non-computers. You definitely have to finalize if you're making a regular audio cd.

If you're making an mp3 cd, depending on individual song size (in mb), you could fit up to 200 or more songs on one cd. So, you might want to start taking your purchased cds and rip them to your computer and then make a nice, long mix cd full of mp3s. If you're just going to do the 16, you might as well just make a regular audio cd - you should have enough room since those songs take up a little over an hour.

Kbps refers to bitrate. The higher the bitrate, the less compression, and the higher the audio quality as well as file size. Audio quality also depends on source. (purchased audio cd vs. audio cd that a friend makes from his mp3s) I've never really paid that much attention to burn speed. I usually go for the fastest rate possible (it's a default in iTunes) and I've never had problems. I suppose if there is a problem with the cd, then you would go to a slower speed.

Collapse -
Burned Audio CD stops playing @ 5th song
by MissionGrl / May 12, 2011 5:51 AM PDT

I'm burning an audio CD with 13 songs; 48+ minutes and 61MB in iTunes.
The C D plays until about the 5th song and then stops.
I've been burning CDs on my mac and never had this happen - tried it 3x and it continued to do it.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Collapse -
You've Posted In A 4 Year Old Thread
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 12, 2011 6:08 AM PDT

Please start a new thread in this forum and when doing so, make sure to give us more information about your computer.. The operating system, version of iTunes, and any other information that might help us.

In the meantime, since the problem seems to occur at the 5th song, maybe that file is corrupted.. Try removing that particular song and create the CD using all the other songs.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Tell a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2011 9:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
We just covered this at this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 12:09 PM PST
Collapse -
Thank you, Bob
by rccoffee / February 27, 2007 12:23 PM PST

I'll download the recommendation.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?