Windows Vista forum

General discussion

burn cd from installed service pack 1 and 2

by february99 / February 18, 2011 11:24 PM PST

Hi, I have a 4 year old windows vista computer, it had service pack 1 and 2 installed. I had to reformat the hard drive, so I lost them. Since I am on a dial up connection it is almost impossible to download them. My question is, I have a friend who has both service packs on her computer. Would it be possible to burn them with her computer, so that I could install them on mine?
Would appreciate your help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: burn cd from installed service pack 1 and 2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: burn cd from installed service pack 1 and 2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes
by Jimmy Greystone / February 19, 2011 1:50 AM PST

Yes, but they would need to download the "network professional" installer for Vista and then burn that to a disc, so unless your friend also has a broadband connection, it's not going to help. If you look around Microsoft's site, they will probably sell you a copy of SP1 and SP2 on DVD for a nominal fee. They used to distribute these free of charge, but discontinued the service a while back. Still, I think the fee basically just covers their expenses in providing a disc to you.

One of the helper monkeys Microsoft suckers into volunteering here might be better able to help you with that.

Collapse -
yes new
by february99 / February 19, 2011 9:19 PM PST
In reply to: Yes

I guess you are right. I will try to find the cd's.
Thanks so much

Collapse -
could you explain that one
by wb2001 / February 22, 2011 1:13 PM PST
In reply to: Yes

Yes, but they would need to download the "network professional" installer for Vista ???

Collapse -
If you go to Microsoft's website
by Jimmy Greystone / February 22, 2011 10:16 PM PST

If you go to Microsoft's website, and don't end up running around in circles until you go mad, you'll eventually find there are two versions of every service pack. There's the version distributed via Windows Update, where it downloads the necessary patches and then installs them as needed. Then there's the self-contained offline "network professional" version which is aimed more at people who need to push this update to dozens to tens of thousands of computers and doesn't want to waste all that bandwidth. But it can be useful for the home user as well. It's significantly larger a download, probably in the 500MB+ range, but you don't need any sort of an Internet connection to install it.

Collapse -
Download Links For SP1 And SP2
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 22, 2011 11:57 PM PST
Collapse -
ordered the cd's
by february99 / February 23, 2011 6:19 AM PST

Thaks so much, I already ordered the cd's.

Collapse -
thanks for the explanation
by wb2001 / March 3, 2011 10:18 AM PST

That is what I have saved to 2 cd's, thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.