Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

"Burbling"!

by colinito / March 22, 2008 10:14 PM PDT

Hello Everyone,
I have the following -
XP.Professional + SP2. Sound Max audio digital integrated system
My computer is not a special make, it is a tower that has had items built into it.

Recently, when playing CDs or listening to any sound, the sound has been sounding as if it comes through water! It is like listening to a voice talking whilst gargling.I am not able to find a reason, neither am I able to find a way to correct this.

I am not too 'good' with computers and I do not have a CD for Sound Max with which I could re-install it if I were to remove the programme.

If anybody has any assistance to offer, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Burbling"!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Burbling"!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Turn off acoustic enhancements. See picture.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2008 11:14 PM PDT
In reply to: "Burbling"!
Collapse -
Burbling (Turn off acoustic enhancements. See picture.)
by colinito / March 23, 2008 1:55 AM PDT

hello M.Proffitt,
You have been kind to have given me advice in the past, and I thank you for your further assistance in this instance.
The picture that you have posted shows the way my system is configured at this time. I went to the Sound Max control panel before I asked for help on this forum. I have found no other way to control this peculiar sound.

I do not know of any other way to possibly achieve control of the sound. The reception continues to be "burbling"!

Regards

Colin

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2008 3:19 AM PDT

But the posts so far make support or ideas difficult. No parts noted, models, etc. So I have to stick to generic advice.

1. System Restore to when it worked.
2. Try http://winhlp.com/node/10

I can't know if item 2 will help as no make, model, details are not here but the DMA can cause audio issues so I think it's a good thing to try. But let me be clear. if you just look and do not flip the DMA to PIO and back as noted then it will remain a possible issue.
Bob

Collapse -
PS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2008 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

", when playing CDs or listening to any sound, "

What program you use may have an effects setting. WMP does have such and you should set it to "none" as well.

Collapse -
Burbling
by colinito / March 23, 2008 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Hello, again,

It is not an easy task to name parts and models when there is no specific data for them.
The DVD/CD hardware built into my tower is -
HL-DT-ST DVD ROM GDR 8163B DVD/CDR
NEC DVD_RW ND 3250A DVD/CDR

MY sound System is - as I have previously stated - Sound Max.

After I had bought the computer, the firm went out of business and I found all sorts of problems. Most have now been resolved and my system has been almost trouble free for some time. This 'Burbling' sound has started during the last week.

Using Bob's advice -. and if Bob reads this, my thanks for your assistance - I did a system restore to 3 weeks ago at which time I know it was working. - The sound is now still the same.

I followed further advice from Bob, and went to http://winhlp.com/node/10 and checked it out. The settings on my computer correspond to those in the link. I was a little worried about switching off and on, and did not do so.

Thank you all so far, for your help.

Still 'Burbling'!!

Regards

Colin

Collapse -
Good luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2008 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Burbling

The method is simple, requires no reboot and removes a common issue from the list.

As there is no make or model, what about System Restore?
Bob

Collapse -
check the sound adjustments in the program
by Daviddude / March 23, 2008 3:21 AM PDT

that you are using to play the CDs...
Maybe that program has the EQ setting modified.

Good Luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.