The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Bundled Wares

by AndyInTN / February 7, 2006 11:12 PM PST

I totally agree with Molly on the fact that too many applications these days are bundling TOO many applications with their products. I hate having to get iTunes TO GET QuickTime. I hate how Macromedia and Adobe have bundled the Yahoo toolbar into their products, THANKFULLY you have the option to not install them.

I wanted to share a couple of alternative products. The first being a replacement for QuickTime & iTunes.

Use Juice for podcast subscriptions (you can subscribe to iTunes feeds with it too) & then go to free-codecs.com and download "The Codecs" package. That will allow you to play M4V files with Media Player Classic. Also, the Real & QuickTime Alternatives are great.

http://juicereceiver.sourceforge.net/index.php
http://www.free-codecs.com

As far as Adobe Reader goes, you can get rid of it. I use a program called Foxit PDF Reader. Its free and MUCH, MUCH more light-weight AND the best part is, it doesn't even need a helper application to help start it. Adobe has to run a background service to help launch the program faster. (Talk about bloated)

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bundled Wares
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bundled Wares
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good alternatives
by Wilf_Brim / February 9, 2006 4:51 AM PST
In reply to: Bundled Wares

I have used some of these, and they are good alternatives. Both iTunes and Adobe install launchers which load at startup, and both do so without asking. And iTunes loads the iPod helper as well, a 5MB app which runs all the time whenever I launch iTunes (it doesn't unload)..and I don't have an iPod.

These two are just some of the offenders. I wish all of the software makers would get their crap out of my system tray and starup menu. Unless I absolutely have to have it, I don't want it.

Collapse -
Totally Agree
by AndyInTN / February 9, 2006 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: Good alternatives

Make the applications LESS bloated so they don't need helper applications. It can be done while retaining and adding features (I would think).

I'm really liking Songbird.

Collapse -
Let me get this straight...
by MacHugger / February 9, 2006 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: Bundled Wares

Molly and others complain about the integration of iTunes and QuickTime because Apple uses QuickTime elements in its iTunes application.

So... you would rather seek out an alternative application called Juice so you can still subscribe to iTunes feeds and then seek out another site that provides the codecs you will need and then have to download to play M4V files with Media Player Classic?

Call me a freak but I like clicking on one stupid download button and having it all install for me. It would be one thing if they were two completely separate products but iTunes now uses Quicktime, from what I understand.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
My reasoning
by AndyInTN / February 9, 2006 6:07 AM PST

iTunes really sucks on my computer. It is slow. When movies are played they are REALLY choppy and it locks my entire computer up. HOWEVER, when I play M4V files in Media Player Classic, they play as smooth as could be.

Heres the main thing. Say you ONLY needed QuickTime to play one video file. You have to download that HUGE file that has iTunes with it, then you've got even more crud on your computer.

Its not like Apple can't put the applications separate. Its not like they don't have the bandwidth. They're just trying to get you to use iTunes so you will buy music, HOWEVER, I have tried buying music from iTunes but I could never get an account set up.

The beauty of Media Player Classic, VLC Media Player and a few others is the fact that they play EVERY format you could possibly want in one application.

There are a bunch of applications out there for subscribing to podcasts. Doesn't really matter which one you use. I just prefer Juice.

Collapse -
Quicktime sans iTunes
by MacHugger / February 9, 2006 6:27 AM PST
In reply to: My reasoning

Maybe it's different on the PC but I'm pretty sure you can download Quicktime without installing iTunes. The iTunes installer requires Quicktime but the Quicktime installer doesn't require iTunes. I haven't tested this on my Mac to verify but I don't think the Quicktime installer has iTunes packaged with it.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
On The PC
by AndyInTN / February 9, 2006 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: Quicktime sans iTunes

It is different on Windows. The installer downloads both iTunes & QuickTime, it says something like "iTunes+QuickTime".

I just looked at Apple.com, the Mac version does not come with iTunes.

If I was on a Mac, I know I would probably appreciate iTunes & QuickTime more. But on a PC, or at least my PC, its really horrid.

Collapse -
Ask and you shall receive
by rtemp / February 9, 2006 12:52 PM PST
In reply to: On The PC
Collapse -
Prize...
by AndyInTN / February 9, 2006 2:23 PM PST

Hmmm, I don't have anything, other than a CONGRATULATIONS, you uncovered hidden treasure, too bad I'm sticking to Media Player Classic.

Thanks for posting it though, I am definitely bookmarking, blogging, emailing this to many people who have been looking EVERYWHERE for it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?