Computer Help forum

General discussion

built new system, but won't boot

by DAVE8888 / September 30, 2004 2:23 AM PDT

the cdroms light up and everything inside appears to run, but there's no display and appears to be no activity from HD.... any ideas what's wrong?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: built new system, but won't boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: built new system, but won't boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: built new system, but won't boot
by Kees Bakker / September 30, 2004 3:38 AM PDT

Apparently the power supply is working; that, indeed, is step #1. Next candidates: CPU, memory, motherboard in general or video card (if separate). Do you hear any beeps?

And what's supposed to be on the hard disk to boot from? With an empty hard disk you boot from diskette or CD. But that's still a long way if the BIOS doesn't show itself on the screen or beeps, and you can't enter the BIOS setup (which needs a functioning keyboard).

Good luck,

Kees

Collapse -
by DAVE8888 / September 30, 2004 3:52 AM PDT

it makes 2 quick beeps when starting up

Collapse -
by DAVE8888 / September 30, 2004 3:54 AM PDT

makes 2 quick beeps and is booting from a hd already loaded with win XP

Collapse -
by reipph / September 30, 2004 3:54 AM PDT

The system did not complete its normal start-up sequence if there seemed to be no activity, but did the computer beep?
1. in simple analysis of the problem you stated, it is a non-completion of start-up sequence hence no activity and display (sometimes it gives you a sleeping monitor)it points to memory board problem normally compatibility but not limiting to memory board defect. Check your memory board. Does your mobo support the bus speed or capacity of the memory board?
2. If you are using a video card, check if the card is rightly seated in its socket, check video card/monitor connections too, it might be loose or not fit properly.
3. Is there any operating sytem in your HDD say DOS, WIndows, Linux?
4. Is your HDD formatted with system in it?
5. Check boot sequence in BIOS set-up, it could had been set to use CDROM as primary boot sequence, change it to boot to HDD (if your system has an operating system in it), else, try booting from a bootable floppy disc.
6. Check power supply connection to the HDD.
7. Check IDE/HDD ribbon/cable connection, it may be inverted or loose, there is a red indicator line in the IDE cable, when connected to the HDD, the line must be on the left when you are facing the CPU (in genereal, IDE cables have a small plastic protrusion in its terminal located in the middle or the orientation part of the terminal/socket, hence there is no way that you can invert the connection to the IDE and HDD sockets.
8. Sorry but some people simply forget, is the monitor powered on? There are monitors which power supply does not come from the CPU.

Collapse -
these are the specs, was told they were compatible
by DAVE8888 / September 30, 2004 4:00 AM PDT

King Max 1024MB PC-3200 DDR400 SDRAM
ASUS K8V VIA K8T800 mother board
ASUS V9520 Magic GeForce FX 5200 128 MB
AMD 64 3200 processor

Collapse -
Re: these are the specs, I'm asking the power supply size.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2004 4:50 AM PDT

Also, tell how you got XP installed?

Some try to transfer a HD from another system and learn a brutal lesson.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: these are the specs, I'm asking the power supply size.
by DAVE8888 / September 30, 2004 6:37 AM PDT

XP is from my last system.... I'm guessing you can't transfer XP into a brand new system?

power supply is 420W

Collapse -
Should be enough to start.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2004 6:45 AM PDT

But remember the CPU can be 100 Watts on its own.

Time to try less parts.

Just one stick of ram, no hard disks, just the video card and see if it displays anything. Check that the cards are well seated (only with power off!)

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) tried that... same result :S
by DAVE8888 / September 30, 2004 8:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: (NT) tried that... same result :S
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2004 8:32 AM PDT

Now remove the motherboard and place it on cardboard with the power supply and just the video card. Some add too many mounting posts or recycle the case and leave some extra post behind. Moving to cardboard moves the case out of the equation.

Bob

Collapse -
Actually, for got to unplug floppy, it boots and....
by DAVE8888 / September 30, 2004 8:42 AM PDT

can get into BIOS... now what?

Collapse -
Don't spare the words.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2004 9:28 AM PDT

You didn't tell if there is something on the display now that wasn't before. Also, what changed?

I'm not there so you have to be "Waldo" with eyes and words.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Don't spare the words.
by DAVE8888 / September 30, 2004 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't spare the words.

now I'm at the point where it gives me the screen where you can boot in safe mode, windows normally or last known config, or safe mode with command prompt... every option I choose causes it to reset.... I can however get to a command prompt with the windows install disk....
I'm pretty sure it will let me reinstall windows, but I don't want to because it will make me have to format correct? or is there an easy way to save files I want to keep and then just do a clean install?
it's mostly stuff in the mydocs folder I want to keep like pictures and stuff

Collapse -
also...
by DAVE8888 / September 30, 2004 9:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't spare the words.

I tried using the repair windows installation thing when it booted from the cd, but I'm not sure what to do at the command to repair the installation

Collapse -
A repair to remember...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2004 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: also...
Collapse -
by billzhills / September 30, 2004 6:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
But how?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2004 6:54 AM PDT

"Will give you the complexity of
troubleshooting boot issues.

Bill"

How will we remove the complexity?

Smile,

Bob

Collapse -
Re: But how?
by billzhills / September 30, 2004 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: But how?

Don't know but with your help someday I will learn to write correctly or is that grammar?

Happy

Bill

Collapse -
Re: But how?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2004 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: But how?

I just found the words to be playful. The issues of building it yourself seems fun until it you get these issues.

Bob

Collapse -
agree
by billzhills / September 30, 2004 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: But how?

As words go

Statement from Lee-Roy to local Sheriff who had been shot..

We was setting round the fire when Bubba said "Lets go hunting", I stood up and said "I'm game", thats when he shot me.

Collapse -
Re: agree
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2004 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: agree
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?