HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Built New Computer, Random Restarts

by soy380 / November 29, 2009 7:50 AM PST

Hi, I recently built a new computer and it has a problem with random restarts and freezing.

Hardware:
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 Motherboard
CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W Modular Power Supply
Intel Core i7-920
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA
SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X 100269VXL Radeon HD 4890 1GB
Running Windows 7 64bit

Nothing is overclocked, although the ram is currently in XMP mode through the motherboard.
Ran memtest for hours without any errors. Updated all drivers manually then through Driver Genius.
Motherboard bios is the most current non beta. CPU and Video card are at acceptable temps.

I can normally use the computer for hours without problem, even play high end games for hours without it freezing or restarting, but every once in a while it will just restart or freeze on me. I have disabled the option in windows that has the computer automatically restart, but it still just restarts with no error message. I have noticed though, one thing that will cause a restart regularly is if I go on the net and view a flash video (Firefox and IE). It also likes to restart when NewsBin is downloading, also sometimes when i'm quitting a game. If its just sitting in windows and not doing much, it won't freeze/restart.

I've also checked the even log and their is never any indication of what causes the problem, the only critical or warning logs are after the reboot to inform me of the unexpected reboot.

Any info/advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Built New Computer, Random Restarts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Built New Computer, Random Restarts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds Like Thermal Paste Needs To Be Reapplied
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 1, 2009 7:50 AM PST

When the comp gets stressed, it shuts down.. I'll guess it's a heat issue and since it's a home brew, the thermal grease is frequently the cause.. Tried reapplying?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Adobe Flash Player is cause.
by soy380 / December 2, 2009 6:28 AM PST

No I have not because I check the temps all the time and they are way below the max for the cpu. And also, if it were a temp issue, wouldn't it crash while playing games and not while just having a browser open with a flash video playing? I've also stress tested the cpu with prime95 for long periods of time letting the cpu hit it's max and it doesn't crash/freeze during this test.

I've done a little investigating since the original post and it seems that it is Adobe Flash player related. In the past week, the computer only restarted or froze while playing Flash player content. I'm not sure how to solve this besides just not using Flash player but most websites have Flash content.

Collapse -
Well Then,, Currently, Flash Isn't Supported On 64 Bit
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 2, 2009 6:53 AM PST

Sorry, I missed that in your first post.. But what you describe could very easily be Flash related if it's ONLY happening when running Flash. Eventually, Adobe will be creating Flash for 64 bit.. Till that time, you get to live with its shortcomings or follow the instructions in the link below to run a 32 bit browser in your 64 bit OS.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.