Computer Help forum

General discussion

Built new computer but moniter not working

by llama_egg / October 17, 2007 10:29 AM PDT

Ok, so I just finished getting my part's yesterday for my new computer the other day and began working on it this morning. The only thing's I'm keeping off my old computer was my HD's (2 SATA), DVD drives, and PSU (Antec Neo 450w). So i went ahead, pulled out all my old part's and began to throw together my new computer. Well, to my demise, everything seemed to work other then the moniter! So for the last hour I've been searching around trying to find why this is happening, and I can't find anything that helps. Anywho, time for the part list!

Case: Antec P180 Advanced
Mobo: GA-M59SLI-S5
Processor: AMD64 X2 6000+
Video Card: EVGA e-Geforce 8600GT Superclocked
RAM: Crucial BallistiX Tracer 2GB PC2-6400 Dual Channel DDR2 Kit w/ LED (2 x 1GB)

Now as for my moniter, I KNOW it works, it's only about 2 months old and I just tested it on my laptop. But when I connect it to the video card, it doesn't work for some reason! It seems as though everything from the fans to the harddrives run, even the fan on the video card works, but I dunno, it confuses me xD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Built new computer but moniter not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Built new computer but moniter not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try a different monitor.
by BrianZachary / October 17, 2007 10:50 AM PDT

If you have a different monitor, try that one and see if it will work. If it doesn't, you might be screwed since you need a monitor to fix most problems.

Make sure the video card is securely plugged into the motherboard. It could be that it's in enough for the lights to come on but not let the monitor work. I've seen this happen.

If that doesn't work, you might try a different video card.

Does the computer have a built-in place to plug a monitor in? I know you said you built this one, but I'm just throwing ideas out here. If there is another one and it works, you may need to disable the drivers for that one and install enable the drivers for the other one.

Let us know what you come up with.

Collapse -
No luck
by llama_egg / October 17, 2007 11:26 AM PDT

I just tried a different monitor, and yet the same problem. I have also tried the video card in all 3 PCI Express slots. Also, as for the ard not being in securely, it should be all the way, as even the clips close securly when the card is pressed in.

I have also tried my old Radeon card, but yet, still no luck.

And I wish the mobo had a built in plug, but no luck for that either xD

Currently, my mobo is actually outside the case, with only the videocard and one gig of ram installed, as I try to get it to work.

Collapse -
Mobo t_t
by llama_egg / October 17, 2007 12:02 PM PDT
In reply to: No luck

I was just going to edit my last post, but I couldn't see an EDIT anywhere xD

But anywho, I believe my problem is the mobo, as I tried the 8600 GT on my old mobo, and I managed to get a display almost right away.

Collapse -
Look at
by Willy / October 17, 2007 12:48 PM PDT

Because you're using the old HDs with the XP OS, it will do a s you've described after the initial boot display. It you get no display period, then be sure to use the mtrbd. clearing pins to reset the bios or remove the CMOS for 5min., then return. Remove *all* drives and have only the simplest of system. Let's hope you get some display then, if not you have maybe a seating problem with the video card or the bios itself has defaulted to its own video port, does it have one? If it does, then use that for the initial build then upgrade once the installs are complete. DON"T ASSUME anything, be sure to check the mtrbd. pin jumpers(if applicable), cables are proper, etc.. Believe me the simple stuff can hose you.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?