Cameras forum

General discussion

Built-In Wide-Angle Digital Camera

by wileybillyparker / April 11, 2006 1:03 AM PDT

I am a realtor and know very little about digital cameras. I have been looking at digital cameras for a long time and still do not know which one I should buy. However, I know there are some features I would like to have on a digital camera.

First and foremost, I would like to have a built-in, wide-angle lens so that I can take the entire view of a home from the outside and not have to carry anything more than I have to. Also, to add to my wish list, I would like to have either a 2" or 2.5" LCD (since the older I get, the harder it is to see) and last, a comfortable hand grip to hold the camera.

Is this asking for too much?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Built-In Wide-Angle Digital Camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Built-In Wide-Angle Digital Camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2006 1:10 AM PDT

While you can look at the makers to see if they make such, the market is driven by what most of the market wants then for the specialty items you see the price zoom past thousands of dollars.

If you attach the wide angle lens onto the camera, then you get what you want and it's "one-piece." Without the specialty camera price and your list of possible cameras gets much longer.

Bob

Collapse -
Reply to Proffit
by wileybillyparker / April 11, 2006 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes.

Thanks for responding Bob. However, I had found two cameras that had built-in wide angle lenses and they were affordable. One was the Olympus E-800. However, just as I was getting ready to buy it, I was told that it was discontinued. I didn't want to spend money on something that may not be serviceable soon. The other was a Canon S-70. However, I didn't like that it didn't have a large LCD and no grip.

Therefore, are you saying there is not a mid-range camera made like I want?

Collapse -
About discontinued. A dirty secret.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2006 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply to Proffit

Here's how most product is made. Hp, Kodak and more will make an estimate on how many of a model to make and "produce" that many. Those make their way to the market and are sold off. But what many are unaware of is that the model may never be made again. In effect any model you see on the shelf is discontinued.

As such, this is not a reason to discount a model that fits your need.

You found 1 model that had the lens you wanted but the 2nd didn't meet your needs. In your market (varies with country) it appears you don't have an exact model that works for you unless you can get past the discontinued idea.

-> Why not a nice model with the attached lens? It is in effect the same.

Bob

Collapse -
Do a feature search
by willsmit / April 11, 2006 2:46 AM PDT

Some sites let you search for particular features. Here's one:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

I specified a wide angle of at least (or literally, at most) 28mm. I added image stabilization, since that would help with real estate shots. The result gave me Panasonic Lumix FX01 and LX1, plus some others that might be a bit more than you want. If you don't include the IS feature, you get many more than their limit of 10 models.

Collapse -
Thanks Chris
by wileybillyparker / April 11, 2006 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Do a feature search

I will look this evening when I get home from work.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!