Desktops forum

General discussion

Built computer myself, got some issues

by cnetdesign / November 30, 2004 10:17 PM PST

well i finally decided to build my own computer piece by piece and found that i actually did it right! I upgraded from an old mobo and a 1ghz AMD thunderbird w/ sdram. Here is what i got:

arctic silver ceramique thermal paste
AMD athlon xp barton 2.1ghz
Asus a7n8x-e deluxe nforce2 mobo
2 bars of corsair 512MB DDR pc 3200
thermaltake silentboost cpu fan
ATI all in wonder radeon 9600
seagate 160gb SATA hard drive 7200RPM
western digital 40gb hard drive

I run on windows 98SE only... So first thing i noticed is that i cant have a drive any larger than 135GB because of 98.. yay!... I had to partition and i still have about 30gigs unaccounted for that i CANT use, any suggestions about that are welcome.. Here are my issues though:

1. I cant recall what programs they were but two of them showed my processor as 1.3 & 1.4 Ghz only! This seems kind of true because it takes about 3 minutes to load windows sometimes more (longer than w/ my old 1ghz thunderbird) and also many applications dont show the impact of my processor being twice as fast now.

2. I get system hangups when the processor led is not blinking but there is something going on in the background

3. Extremely slow transfer from hard drive to hard drive. If i move around 10gigs or more, i usually get an auto system reboot eventually... When i leave my pc on overnight to encode dvds ill usually wake up to a reset pc and an invalid/crashed file

I was really expecting win98 to be on crack w/ this new configuration that it was probably not made to ever witness but instead im very disappointed that such an optimal setup could be so slow, i know something has to be wrong here. I've tested my pc w/ the new warhammer demo and i was able to run it on full config with only some frame hits, i also can now run the highly demanding AVS plugin for winamp in fullscreen which i could barely use in half screen before. My corsair memory IS reporting correctly at about 1.2ghz. I have not been able to go online and update drivers but i will eventually do that, that might be a problem. Please give me some advice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Built computer myself, got some issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Built computer myself, got some issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Built computer myself, got some issues
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2004 10:38 PM PST

The 137GB drive limit is DOS. There is also an issue with over 512M with Windows 98. This article explains how to limit Windows to 512M.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q253912/

In closing, some machine misbehave with both sticks of RAM and that is a warranty issue.

Bob

Collapse -
by cnetdesign / December 1, 2004 6:12 AM PST

im not worried too much about the ram, i will try that out though... what worries me most is that my processor is not showing over a third of its processing, ive never heard of any case where a 2ghz could possible report as a 1.3... has anyone???

Collapse -
CPU report...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 6:19 AM PST

Usually a sign the BIOS is out of date or you set the FSB wrong. A new board does not mean the BIOS is current.

Bob

Collapse -
by cnetdesign / December 1, 2004 6:56 AM PST

im not worried too much about the ram, i will try that out though... what worries me most is that my processor is not showing over a third of its processing, ive never heard of any case where a 2ghz could possible report as a 1.3... has anyone???

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?