Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor
Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard
OCZ SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel PC6400 DDR2 800MHz x4 = 4gb ram
Masscool 8W553 / Socket 775 / Aluminum / CPU Cooling Fan
PNY GeForce 9600 GT Video Card - 512MB GDDR3
500 gb seagate sata internal HDD
Sony DVD-ROM reader
windows xp home

installing windows xp on the computer was hard. it kept freezing up. i removed 2 ram cards leaving 2gb left and the system still froze but not as often. the case came with a 450 watt powersupply, and i dont believe thats bad. i need help badly! please email me with answers asap. joshuabienlein@tmail.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Built a new computer, freeze's up for no reason
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Built a new computer, freeze's up for no reason
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
sorry wrong cooling unit

In reply to: Built a new computer, freeze's up for no reason

Masscool 8W501B1M3G / Socket 775 / Intel Prescott / Copper Core / CPU Cooling Fan

Collapse -
check first

Firstly, whether the memories are the same, whether they are compatible?
Check whether there are bad sectors in your hard drive.
Check whether the installation CD is OK.

Collapse -
replay

In reply to: check first

the installitation cd is fine, i used it on a different computer and it works fine. the ram does indeed work with the motherboard as i have looked this up already, the HDD is brand new as of today so that cant be it

Collapse -
Well...

Well, I'd say you've got a rather hefty CPU in there and then also a pretty high end video card, so that will all be producing quite a bit of heat. If you don't have sufficient airflow inside your system case, freezing is one of the things I would expect. It's not freezing so much as the video card locking up giving the impression that the entire system has locked up.

Start by running the system with the side cover off and see if it eliminates, or at least reduces, the problem.

Collapse -
generic PSU

Make sure the power supply has more than 26 amps on the 12v rail. Check the label on the PSU. If its a generic power supply you may have to invest in a new (better quality)one. Also just a reminder
Windows XP won't recognize all 4 gb's of ram unless its a 64 bit version.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.