Small business & Startups forum

General discussion

Building PCs

by Gu1llerm0 / November 9, 2007 4:06 AM PST

Hi There,

I work for a non-profit where 7 years ago, I built the agency all new computers. Well, they're maxed out and exhausted and I've been given the go ahead to build more w/a budget of $550 per machine (excluding software). My goal is to make these last as long as my initial builds - I'd love to hear some feedback on my choice of components (BTW, we'll be installing Vista Business). Here are my specs:

Case & PSU: RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black SECC STEEL ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz LGA 775 65W Processor Model BX80557E4500

Video Card: MSI NX8400GS-TD256E GeForce 8400GS Support up to 512M (256MB onboard) 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804

HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

CD/DVD: SAMSUNG 20X DVD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Building PCs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Building PCs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why the heavy gamer video solution?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2007 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: Building PCs

For business I'll stick with GMA 950 or the newer 3100. I also save the company money on AC and utility bills this way.

Bob

Collapse -
Heavy, Heavy
by Gu1llerm0 / November 9, 2007 4:18 AM PST

Too heavy eh?

Besides the graphics, what else do you see as 'excessive'? Keep in mind, I'm looking for 5+ years of use.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
I'd opt for more drive space.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2007 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: Heavy, Heavy

While it's the bane of IT staffers I take no pleasure in having IT staffers out freeing up hard disk space. With hard disks at 300GB in the 99 buck range (less?) I might opt for more GB there since it's an area we use a lot of at our office (we do video!)

Bob

Collapse -
To Ribosi, why your post was removed.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 13, 2007 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: Building PCs

You are advertising your own site/business.

The original poster is not asking for retail solutions. He's asking for advice on self build specs.

Advertising in these forums contravenes forum policy. That's why your post had to go.

Mark

Collapse -
My post was directly related to the OPs situation
by Ribosi / November 13, 2007 1:24 AM PST

I was only offering a direct match to what he was looking for at a fraction of the price he was looking to spend, I can't see how that's not helpful.

The OPs issue is coming up with systems for under $550 per system that will last as long as his initial systems - not specifically that they have to build them from the ground up. Would you have also deleted my post had I said "Dell sells a system that can do that for $350" or "You can get an HP thin client for $200"? I highly think not.

Also, it's not very good etiquette to go posting on the public board "you were spamming and had to go". In the first place, it's hardly spam for the reasons I stated, in the second, you're publicly defaming my name with your opinion of what does and doesn't qualify as spam.

You don't have to worry about me coming back to this board again, I see how it works now.

Collapse -
You're right
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 13, 2007 1:33 AM PST

if you had suggested a Dell or HP/Compaq, etc I probably would not have been concerned, even though that's not the advice he was asking for.

But.... your first post in these forums and you are advertising your own web site business to a member who specifically stated he is building his own machines. That's why I removed your post.

Please be clear about this. We work very hard to keep these forum posts from filling up with advertising, or spam, or links to warez and other malware infested sites, and so on. So far we succeed, but it only takes a little leeway and the flood comes in.

Mark

Collapse -
Perhaps
by Ribosi / November 13, 2007 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: You're right

But the OPs issue, and my having a solution for it, was what made me sign up in the first place.

You'll run your boards the way you see fit, all I ask is that you don't go calling me a spammer in the process. If you feel the post was inappropriate (which I still assert it wasn't), it's your prerogative to remove it, but the public notice was a bit much - and certainly doesn't make me feel welcomed here. A simple email to me would have sufficed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?