by blaisadam / August 14, 2007 4:10 AM PDT

Hi all, I'm building a computer for the first time with the parts below:

ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard
Athlon X2 3600+ Brisbane
1GB Crucial PC2-5300 memory
160GB SATA2 7200rpm HDD
LG DVD writer
nGear case with 450W PSU

I've assembled everything, but I just read in the ASUS manual that my RAM is incompatible because it consists of 128M chips (stupid!).

I've connected everything and when I hit the power button, nothing happens. No fans spin up, the hard drive/DVD drive doesn't turn on or anything. The standby LED on my mobo is on, so I'm pretty sure the mobo is powered (I connected the 24-pin power connector, plus the 4-pin 12V connector like the manual says)

First question: could the RAM be causing nothing to happen? I assumed that the fans would at least spin up regardless of whether or not it will go into the post screen. I have a hunch that I connected the power button pin to the motherboard incorrectly, and I also read something about the HDD LED having to be connected properly. I'm not sure if there's a specific orientation for these connectors as the mobo manual doesn't say. Overall I don't know what needs to be connected in terms of the front-end of the case so that the system boots properly.

Second question: My computer case doesn't appear to have a chassis speaker, and my mobo doesn't have one onboard, which means I'm screwed when it comes to diagnosing problems. Does anyone sell these little speakers individually?

Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Building new PC -- need some help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Building new PC -- need some help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ideas
by ozos / August 14, 2007 4:26 AM PDT

You can buy the speaker individually, from most electronics stores, you can also usually wire an LED up instead (if you don't know, don't go).

Only the power button should need to be connected to turn the system on, if it isn't working, turn it 180* the other direction on the same pins, and try again.

Collapse -
Recheck manual
by anmor / August 14, 2007 6:48 AM PDT

I downloaded the manual and it plainly shows connections to front of box. Connections are marked + & -, the LED's will only work when connected the correct way around, as the current can only flow in one direction, so no harm will be done by having them wrong way around. They just won't work. I can't see a speaker on the diagram but it's not very clear, look for a part that looks like a miniture microphone, about 8mm in diameter and about the same in height, often sticking up a little of the board.
Asus boards I've had in the past used to ship with full color sheets of mobo layout and pin connections, I have not had one for a few years so not sure if they still do.

Collapse -
Eureka!
by blaisadam / August 14, 2007 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Recheck manual

I feel like an idiot... I had the power switch connector and the reset switch connected vertically instead of horizontally...

But man! What a feeling when you first build a PC and it starts up for the first time! I'm installing XP right now... Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.