HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Building new PC from Scratch, Help

by jjlkc5 / January 22, 2005 7:06 AM PST

Am building first PC from all new parts. Have AMD 64 3000 chip, w/ DFI Lan Party UT nF3 250Gb moboard, plus 1GB DDR400 PC3200 RAM, and Radeon 9550 video card. The moboard came with CD for drivers for onboard chips, Also have HD Maxtor 200GB SATA/150. Plan on installing WinXP Pro OS. Once all hardware is set up, what software do I install and in what order. Thought I would only install DVD-ROM and floppy at first. Sound card is on moboard. Do I need install video card before installing drivers on moboard and HD drivers, and OS??? Appreciate someone giving a brief outline of steps. Thanks! Jim P.S. Does CNet have site that gives this detailed info step by steP?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Building new PC from Scratch, Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Building new PC from Scratch, Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The sequence I follow in any new build....
by Michael Geist / January 22, 2005 8:08 AM PST

is:

1) Update Bios to latest offered by manufacturer
2) Install XP SP2
3) Run the latest drivers for mainboard, LAN, video, sound etc, all taken from the makers website.
4) Run Windows update
5) Install AV
6) Install programs

Collapse -
Limit the first assembly step to
by Ray Harinec / January 22, 2005 8:08 AM PST

installing the mobo in the case, adding one stick of memory, the CPU/HSF, , connect the front panel switches to the mobo, the Power Supply to the mobo, no mouse, no keyboard, no video card. Power up and hope to hear a lot of beeps complaining that you have no video. Power down [and turn off the Power Supply from ots rear switch to remove the 5 volt standby power. Remember to turn it on when you go to power up again]. If you are successful to this point plug the video card in and connect a monitor. power up and hope to get the first screen showing BIOS versipon and maybe a splash screen with the mobo mfrs name. Get this far, power off, connect a keyboard, power up and get into the BIOS and make your settings. Then add the floppy drive and but a boot floppy in to see if it boots to an A prompt. Get this far, add ONE item at a time and test. With XP installing from the CD, might want to put the CD drive in next.

If you can't get past any of these steps there is absolutely no reason to go further. Find out why it didn't work.

If you are putting the mobo in a case where another mobo had been, make sure that you remove any metal standoffs the DO NOY line up with the mounting holes on the new mobo.

Collapse -
New Pc
by jjlkc5 / January 22, 2005 8:52 AM PST

To Michael,& Ray,
Thanks for lthe input. Will begin the steps and keep my fingers crossed! JIm

Collapse -
Pc from scratch.
by John Robie / January 23, 2005 6:52 AM PST
Collapse -
Building a basic PC.
by Big Steve / January 23, 2005 8:18 PM PST
In reply to: Pc from scratch.

John:

Does CNET list details on how to go about building a basic PC; one not intended for games? I'm interested in such; a PC to be used primarily for email; surfing the web; personal finance and word processing. I have no interest in gaming and or multimedia.

Big Steve
Biloxi, MS

End Of Reply
01/24/05

Collapse -
Building basic PC
by John Robie / January 24, 2005 9:29 AM PST
In reply to: Building a basic PC.

Hi Big Steve,

Not that I know of, but really when it comes down to it, building a gaming PC and a PC not for gaming is the same. A gaming PC is what everyone really wants to aspire to as they have all the top ingredients for a quality desktop PC. If it wasn't for gaming, there wouldn't be much incentive to keep improving the high end efficiency of home computers.

All you have to do is follow the procedures for building a gaming PC to build a PC that is not specific for gaming. Just reduce the Processor (CPU) speed, the amount of RAM MB, and type of graphics card (Video Card), if the cost is not in your range. If the cost can be managed, then building a Gaming PC is excellent for a PC to surf the net efficiency, email, personal finance, and word processing.

Actually, unless you have a real interest in building, for your enjoyment the challenge, learning about details in a computer structure, satisfaction in bragging about building your own computer, experts agree that the cost is about the same for building yourself or buying one already built, especially now-a-days with the reasonable prices.

If all you want to do is what you say, then look in your newspaper ads for used computers for about $150-$200. Still better look at the excellent bargains on the emachine. Best Buy has one this week for $329.97 with 17" flat screen CRT monitor, and color printer, that is powerful enough (2.66 GHz CPU with Celeron D Processor), 256 MB RAM, 60GB Hard Drive, Integrated Graphics, to handle more than what you require, and it is not considered a gaming machine, but will play many of the non high tech games.

Other sources for how to build...www.google.com...type in "building a computer" or words to that effect.

JR

Collapse -
Building new PC from Scratch, Help
by jcrobso / January 24, 2005 12:57 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.