Desktops forum

General discussion

Building new computer (finally)

by tedrjr03 / October 29, 2005 6:24 AM PDT

ok im finally able to build my own computer... i have a $1100 limit icluding software excluding moniter

im young (14) but i heard its not that hard... it will be for music and videos...not for games but i do want play simple games such as the sims... the hd needs to be atlest 250gig.. what other parts,wires, or anything else do i need...and should i get oem parts of just stick with reatil...thanks any help will be appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Building new computer (finally)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Building new computer (finally)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
list of parts
by nerdyboy1234 / October 29, 2005 7:53 AM PDT

u should go for retail parts

processor: amd athlon 64 3000+
hard drive: western digital or seagate
memory- corsair value ram is good
psu- thermaltake psu (the $30-$40) one will do fine
gfx card: since not much gaming i would go for nvidia 6600
optical drives- get a dvd burner around $50 whichever brand u like
case- ur choice
win. xp home u can get oem but i would go for the retail, u can see it on sale during weekend ads sometimes, easier to get than online
media card reader/floppy- if necessary

u should go newegg for all ur parts. great price and service

keyboard/mouse, speakers, monitor of ur choice

y would u want to go through all this trouble to build ur computer when u can pick up a computer around $800 and stick in a low-end gfx card for less than $1100 and less time

Collapse -
Don't forget
by damasta55r / October 29, 2005 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: list of parts

arctic silver thermal compound
and case fans.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) oh ya u might also need sata hd cable...not sure though
by nerdyboy1234 / October 29, 2005 7:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
retail motherboard packages
by linkit / October 29, 2005 11:24 AM PDT

When you settle on a CPU and motherboard (a good place to start), see what cables, adapters, and hubs that come with the motherboard. This will allow you to purchase some OEM parts.

For example, the retail versions of hard drives and DVD drives come with cables and usually some software. The OEM versions do not not come with cables or software (usually), but you can use the cables that come with the motherboard.

Collapse -
oem
by tedrjr03 / October 29, 2005 12:29 PM PDT

yea but will i need software

Collapse -
maybe, maybe not
by linkit / October 29, 2005 1:36 PM PDT
In reply to: oem

You don't need software for the HD. Any utility software that comes with the HD can be downloaded free from the mfg website.

If you need CD/DVD burning software, go ahead and get the retail version of the DVD drive. I think it's worth it if you don't have any on the computer. Some folks end up using free burning software anyway (CDBurnerXP). You can find some retail DVD burner drives for about the same price as OEM. One of my favorites is the NEC 3540A (retail or OEM, check NewEgg.com).

Buy OEM Windows XP when you make the qualifying hardware purchase.

The best deals that I find are the weekly rebate specials from brick-n-mortar stores (CompUSA, CircuitCity, Staples, etc.) The retail price after rebate often beats online OEM; however, you have to get lucky with rebates being offered when you need the part. In general, though, most of the hardware and software for my builds is OEM and comes from NewEgg.com, Geeks.com, ChiefValue.com, et al.

Price comparision sites like PriceGrabber.com and Shopping.com come in handy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.