As to the TV item, I just pick up either the ATI TV wonder or Hauppauge PCI card and it's done. No muss or fuss.
As to building your own, consider that HP a350n was all of 699 bucks. I can't buy all the parts and beat that price and it's 64-bit.
As to DVD drives, my desktop has a DVD and a DVD recorder. It seems nice.
As to protection, I use Free AVG and Zone Alarm. Seems nice. For Linux, it's another story and I just turn off the services and it's all done.
And about speed. The machine is quite snappy, but depending on OS, application, you may want a better video card, but remember that the fastest machine is only that till you get it home. Then the next model rolls out... My advice is to not overinvest.
I am going to build a completely new pc coming up in July, and I have been thinking about the componets I wish to include in the system. I have a couple of questions about several differen't aspects of building and college networks.
1. I am thinking of getting a tuner for my pc so I can watch tv in my dorm room w/o having to carry a bulky tv around, my question is, does the tuner come usually built into the video card, or in the monitor. And also how does it hookup and work, I am planning on getting a GForce 128mb graphics card. Also are there programs I can get to record shows to watch later, like Tivo, etc.
2. Do I need to get additional software to protect my pc in the college networks besides a traditional virus program. Do I need to get a firewall protection program, and how secure will I be with using personal information on my pc?
3. Is it easy to find microATX motherboards? I have been looking at microATX cases, such as the cases most barebone systems come in, and Antec has a pretty cool model that is said to be upgradeable easily. I like small, but I definately want something upgradeable. What should I do, and are those motherboards hard to find?
4. Should I get two differen't drives or get a combo drive? Should I get a CD-R/DVD drive or, a CD-R and a DVD drive?
5. Should I get an AMD 64 processor that is say a 2500+ or should I get an regular that is 3200+, my point is should I get the new wave of processors or get an older faster one?
6. Where is the best place to buy a monitor? I want to buy either a Viewsonic or Sony LCD flatscreen, I wanted to get a 17 inch monitor, but I think I will have only enough money for the pc and a 15. Where should I shop, I am also looking at a black case, and I want a monitor to match.
7. Is it hard to find the natural style keyboard in black, and a mouse? I really enjoy my natural style split keyboard, but I want it to match my case if I buy black.
Thank you for your concern in regarding my inquiries. I appreciate the time that anyone gives me in assistance with my new pc.