Desktops forum

General discussion

Building my own computer....need your opinions

by lil ramZ / November 23, 2006 11:45 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Building my own computer....need your opinions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Building my own computer....need your opinions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
card won't do it
by ramarc / November 24, 2006 9:51 AM PST

flight simulator x will dog any card except a geforce 8800gtx. a evga 7900gtx xxx (or evga ko) or a radeon x1950xtx may be able to max out the settings with some stutter. remember, the 7950gt is still slower than a 7900gtx.

Collapse -
7950gt benchies for you
by ramarc / November 24, 2006 10:01 AM PST
In reply to: card won't do it
Collapse -
7900GTX?
by lil ramZ / November 25, 2006 9:34 AM PST

Well,

If it's cheaper than $300 I'll consider the 7900gtx.
But where can I get it?

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / November 26, 2006 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: 7900GTX?

I think u would need 2gb ram and if you don't plan to run higher than 1280x1024 resolution, it should do fine. p.s i can fsx to run on high everything at 1024x768 on a x300se, not good frame rates, but useable.

Collapse -
Thanks
by lil ramZ / November 26, 2006 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: RE:

I think I'll just play at medium until I get some extra ram in there.
Does FSX look decent on medium graphics?

Collapse -
with graphics turned down fsx looks like the old version
by ramarc / November 26, 2006 11:47 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

but you won't have the 'missions' and some of the new geography.

Collapse -
Oh
by lil ramZ / November 27, 2006 9:51 AM PST

Oh,

Why won't I have the missions?
And to me it's really just the flight and if it doesn't look to crappy then I'm fine with it.

Collapse -
Should I wait until January?
by lil ramZ / November 27, 2006 9:53 AM PST
In reply to: Oh

Should I wait to build a pc and get some after holiday deals on video cards and better cpu's?

Collapse -
If you're going to wait for the parts you want to become
by damasta55r / November 27, 2006 2:47 PM PST

cheap, you're never going to get a pc. But given the trends, i would probably wait until feburary for vista,mainstream dx10 cards, lower costs of ddr2 memory, quad-core intels...

Collapse -
flight simulator x has missions
by ramarc / November 27, 2006 10:26 PM PST
In reply to: Oh

i thought you were considering sticking with the old version of flight simulator which doesn't have missions. even if you have to turn down the graphics, flight simulator x has new geography and the new mission mode so its still a good upgrade.

Collapse -
Ok
by lil ramZ / November 29, 2006 5:51 AM PST

Well, how about I buy a computer in December before christmas and just go for it. I mean I can always upgrade the cpu later.
Any word on whether or not AMD is coming out with new cpu's to kill the Core 2 cpu? I am considering a Core 2 cpu instead, they are expensive but they are amazing. I hear that the Core 2 Duo's perform better with next generation graphics. Here are my options:

1. Get the pc now, enjoy it and be happy but have less performance but be able to just upgrade later to make it better. (the configuration on my first post)

2. Wait for new stuff to come out next year and build a nice pc for less than it would cost now. (like getting a Core 2 and maybe even a 8800GTS/X in there, only if it's cheaper)

What should I do?
And if I go with AMD should I get Socket AM2 or just 939?

Collapse -
Careful...
by steve749 / November 29, 2006 6:13 AM PST
In reply to: Ok

If you get a Socket 939 CPU it may not be upgradeable later as AMD will stop making processors for that socket at the end of this year so be careful of what you go for here.

AMD is coming out with new CPUs in the middle of next year that will be quad-core and should be spectacular I think though next year will also have Intel with a refresh of the Core 2 Duos so there is that to factor. Course I'd also expect these to be rather expensive in a sense but then new hardware is generally overpriced when it is the top of the line.

If you decide to wait be sure to keep in mind what you are waiting for as there is almost always going to be cool stuff coming out in the next year in terms of hardware. I ordered a machine a couple months back and got it about a month ago now that is my "tide me over" machine till the end of '08 when I suspect some of the quad-core battles will have settled down some.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
I thought of that
by lil ramZ / November 29, 2006 7:55 AM PST
In reply to: Careful...

I thought about how socket 939 will be going obsolete, and I have a feeling that AMD will lead the way with the CPU market later. So I'll stick with AMD, and hopefully socket AM2 will be the future.

Really, it won't matter when I buy it so I may as well do it now. The cpu issue for me is solved, but the graphics issue is not. I'll get something that is good and will last me until next december when i can get a new one. I will get more RAM throughout next year to beef up the power a bit.

Do you think a Athlon 64 4000+ will be ok until the new chips come out?

Collapse -
Dual core would be my suggestion...
by steve749 / November 29, 2006 11:14 AM PST
In reply to: I thought of that

I'd likely get one of the Athlon 64 x2s as dual-core will likely be more common in the future and software will better use these additional resources.

Regards,
JB

(Who likes his dual-core desktop)

Collapse -
Here's my new config so far...
by lil ramZ / November 30, 2006 4:07 AM PST

I've decided to wait until the end of december to order my pc.

Here is what I'll likely be getting (i'm expecting lower prices)

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ (Socket AM2) $150 now, hopefully less in the future
1gb. of ram, and add more later
Graphics I am still unsure of
DVD-RW Drive
80-160gb. SATA HD, depending on prices

Yeah
I still am unsure about graphics though...

Collapse -
Update on what I'm really getting....
by lil ramZ / November 30, 2006 5:45 AM PST

Scratch whats above,
I'm going to order this sooner,
I'd like to get a Core 2 Duo b/c it's better, I'll overclock it too. More on that later...

I'm getting all of this at Newegg.
Here:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 $184
Asus Mobo $76 <What a deal
PQi Turbo 1gb DDR2 667mhZ Memory $95
500w psu with x16 graphics connector $43
Cooler Master Case $45
80gb SATA 2 HDD $44
DVD-RW Lightscribe Drive $32
Cables for drives (sata and ide)$14
EVGA Geforce 7900GS KO $180 <Not a bad card
Thermal Paste for cpu $6

Total: $750 With Shipping

If you ask me, not bad.
The 7900GS Ko is a nice card for a low price and it should perform well with a Core 2 Duo. I will get a better card next Christmas, so this card is just gonna last me until then. I'll be able to play a lot of good games on high settings, but for FSX I probably won't but that's ok.

I plan on overclocking the cpu around April when I can get a better cooling system for it. I think this is perfect, there is only room for one more stick of ram on the mobo (downside), and that's why I have a single stick of 1gb. ram so I can add another later.

Special thanks to Tom's Hardware and some persons forum post for giving the inspiration to get a Core 2 Duo (I thought they were expensive but they are actually pretty cheap). This system should give me a good 4 years (the rest of high school, I'm a freshman).

So, let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Collapse -
Much better and a PSU note
by linkit / November 30, 2006 6:50 AM PST

Glad to see you went with a C2D CPU over that particular AMD X2.

PSU caution:
Make sure your PSU puts out the number of Amps on the +12V rail that the video card maker specifies for that particular 7900GS KO. This can vary from maker to maker.

Collapse -
Thank you
by lil ramZ / November 30, 2006 7:34 AM PST

I understand all the aspects of compatibility and thank you for the reminder, I too try to help first time builders as they fail to realize
many of these issues. And yeah, the Core 2 Duo is a very nice cpu.

Collapse -
PSU Fix
by lil ramZ / November 30, 2006 7:46 AM PST

Thanks for the help,

I have moved up to a 550w psu and saved 2 bucks. Oh yeah!

Collapse -
Ok, So I ordered it..
by lil ramZ / December 2, 2006 8:29 PM PST

I ordered my new pc from newegg with the specs I had above. And I'm excited to get a Core 2 Duo. Everything is compatible, I even made sure I got the RAM that the motherboard manufacturer reccomended!

More on it later!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?