Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Building my 1st system

by Amotec / January 26, 2011 11:51 AM PST

I have already puchased my motherboard (Asus Sabertooth X58) and a processor (intel core i7). I have seen a short video on how to install the processor, but I have been told by friends to lets professional install the processor. Is it that difficult?

Also I have heard there is a better match for RAM by the type of Mother board you have?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Building my 1st system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Building my 1st system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No, it's not that difficult,
by ahtoi / January 26, 2011 3:14 PM PST
In reply to: Building my 1st system

just use common sense. I have never work with an i7 cpu so I can't tell you what the alignment marker is but usually there is a marker on the cpu and the cpu socket that give you the idea where the pin alignment should be. Also, if the cpu already come with heatsink grease on, be sure to remember to take the plastic off before install. Good luck.

Collapse -
The main thing to worry about
by Jimmy Greystone / January 26, 2011 9:26 PM PST
In reply to: Building my 1st system

The main thing to worry about is ESD (Electro-Static Discharge) or basically static electricity. Some computer components are more sensitive to this than others, but probably none are more sensitive than the CPU. The amount of components crammed together in such a small space leaves no real margin of error.

So, be sure to read up on best practices on avoiding ESD damage. Might not be a bad idea to also try and find a video or two showing how to apply thermal grease. Too much or too little and you'll have problems.

Once you get the CPU in, the rest is pretty easy. Just hold everything by the edges as much as possible, avoid touching contact points (look kind of like teeth), or any actual chips on add-in cards. Also make sure you have a good place to do this work. A good not-carpeted or non-linoleum floor and some non-conductive surface to the table. If you don't have any of these things, it might be worth buying an ESD mat and wrist strap. Even if you only use it one time, better to waste $50 or so on that than a couple hundred on a new CPU.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!