Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Building home theater system on a budget.

by jplundma / December 13, 2008 1:04 PM PST

My computer speakers just died and I am looking to upgrade. I want to use the system with my computer until I am done with college (spring) and then move it to a HDTV once I start working. I am buying Polk RTi6 and Polk PSW-10. So I am looking for a a/v receiver that will work well with my computer and be able to upgrade to a 5.1 next year. I would like it to be able to have HDMI repeating, but it isn't crucial since I am on a budget of $300. I do not know a lot about this stuff so I am asking for a bit of help.

Receivers being looked at:
Onkyo Tx-SR606
Harman Kardon AVR 354
Pioneer 1018AH-K

Thanks,
Jacob

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Onkyo fan here
by Pepe7 / December 14, 2008 11:13 AM PST

I found the following wiki that might help a little when you are comparing receivers-
http://www.productwiki.com/onkyo-tx-sr606/
My question is whether or not it's true that this model only does 1080p pass through and not 1080p upconversion(?) I suppose it's the price point and/or chipset involved here. (Are you looking for the full monty or simply pass through?)

The HK costs more probably because it does more/includes the iPod dock/Faroudja upconverts to 1080p. Sorry I don't know as much about Pioneer receivers. Can you really get any of these new (non-refurbs) for $300(?) I didn't see any ethernet ports either, or are you planning on using HDMI/digital audio out from the PC to receiver(?)

-Pedro

Collapse -
More Information
by jplundma / December 15, 2008 1:47 PM PST
In reply to: Onkyo fan here

I think it up converts to 1080i. I am looking for monty i think..not quite sure what that means.

I am looking for a good deal still, no worries. I guess I would be willing to go up a bit to get everything I need in the receiver.

The thing with the ethernet port is something I know little about also. I just need to hook it up directly for a while. I plan on running my computer audio list through a PS3 next year.

Thanks for the website, it is a lot of help.

Collapse -
SR-606, as well
by js1214 / December 16, 2008 9:07 AM PST

I just picked up the SR-606 myself for $340 delivered on Amazon.com. I'm really not concerned about the upscaling 'only' to 1080i, as I'm sure I cannot tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p with my eyes anyway. I'm on a similar budget and this had the most features for the money, IMO. I really like the HK models, but they don't offer A/B speaker switching and that's one of the things I needed for the outdoor speakers. They are sweet units, though.
After a lot of thought, I talked myself out of the Onkyo SR-706 which adds THX and 1080p upscaling. Not worth the extra $ to me at this point.
Best of luck to you. This is an incredibly helpful forum, you'll pick up a lot of useful knowledge here.

Collapse -
Thanks
by jplundma / December 17, 2008 8:57 AM PST
In reply to: SR-606, as well

What HK receivers are you talking about?

Collapse -
HK AVR-254
by js1214 / December 18, 2008 4:46 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

I was looking at the AVR-254, as it was in a comparable price range. I really loved the look of the unit, very sleek, very simple. The a/b speakers really killed the deal for me, the unit sounded great and was almost exactly what I was looking for. I've had a little time with the Onkyo now and I'm really loving it. It really sounds great, very clean and has more than enough power for my needs.

Best of luck in your search.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!