Desktops forum

General discussion

building computer for tv

by towbar15 / January 13, 2009 11:39 PM PST

Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place for this question but here goes. I'm thinking of building a computer to use as a harddrive to put movies, tv shows on. So i can watch them on the tv. What components do I need and what are the best ones to get for this?

Thank you,
Jerry

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: building computer for tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: building computer for tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: pc for tv
by Kees Bakker / January 13, 2009 11:44 PM PST

Any PC would do if it has:
- a TV-card to connect it to your cable or whatever way your signals arrive
- a video card with TV-out possibility.
- the right software (but you're not asking about that)
- a not too small hard disk

You might have some requirements about the quality (analog SD or 1020p HD definition) for both incoming and outgoing connections, but you don't specify them.

In stead of building your own mediacenter, consider buying a hard disk recorder. Much easier, and probably much cheaper also.

Kees

Collapse -
pc for tv versus "buying a hard disk recorder"
by rammaster / January 20, 2009 7:46 AM PST
In reply to: Re: pc for tv

PLEASE !!! tell me where and what brands of hard disk recorders you know that are for SALE ! (Not cable/sat providers).
The thing is ...I don't even need it to be HD or digital !

Greg

Collapse -
DVR Leader is Tivo
by mbednarz / January 20, 2009 11:23 AM PST

Tivo is the Coca-Cola of the PVR industry. I buy things like this from Newegg.com and they have the entry Tivo for about $250, but you might check Best Buy or Walmart or any other similar local retailer if you don't want to wait, or want to get more detailed sales help pertaining to your situation/application/ and desired use.

Collapse -
On my list is the Apple TV.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2009 12:05 AM PST

No issues with noise. Easy to use, HD and more.

Collapse -
It's getting harder to make a true HTPC...
by mbednarz / January 16, 2009 1:46 PM PST

Using the Computer for Media center is fine, but I don't recommend using it as a PVR or DVR. The tuners don't work for HDTV signals via Cable or Satellite, just Over the Air. I built my own HTPC with parts and pieces laying around about 2 years ago and when I went HDTV and 5.1 dolby sound, I had to get a Home Theater Sound system to really utilize the HiDef sound and Picture together.

The DVR/Receiver I have from DirecTV is excellent. Easy to use and they don't talk about it much, but they are perfectly OK with you to plug in your own External Hard Drive in an ext. enclosure via the E-Sata Connection on the back of the DVR. It disables the internal 300GB drive but I more than doubled my capacity. It works just fine. I still have my Media Center PC hooked in, with a wireless network card it makes a great second computer and has an incredible 46" screen. Games, Internet and music all get used here. Also, if you haven't checked out hulu.com you should.... you can watch streamed tv etc. on your computer while working etc. Pretty cool, I watched 24 the other nite in a pop-out screen on the corner of my desktop while I was catching up on some work.

Collapse -
Use the 'latest" tuner cards.
by EscapePod / January 16, 2009 11:15 PM PST

Nearly all of the latest tuner adapters, both interna and external (USB), have the ability to capture/display Clear QAM high definition signals from most cable providers. Those are select stations, often the major networks like NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox. Not all cable providers will have those channels in HD without charge (which requires set top box or cable card, but lately, more and more do have them.

In my area, both Brighthouse (Time-Warner) and Comcast have the major stations in HD via Clear QAM. These are clearer than over the air, and don't require fiddling with rabbit ear antennae.

Collapse -
building computer for tv
by finfancy / January 16, 2009 11:11 PM PST

I think the best thing you could do is buy or borrow from a library the following book: "Building the Perfect PC" Robert Bruce Thompson & Barbara Fritchman Thompson) an O'Reilly book, 2nd edition. The one you want is Building the perfect media center PC. I am considering building a new PC and this book gives you reasons "why" they recommend a path and some books do not. Enjoy.

Collapse -
Components
by EscapePod / January 16, 2009 11:24 PM PST

Things to consider when gathering the components -- go for "QUIET". Try to use a processor that is rated low power. Look at the wattage rating -- AMD makes one that is rated only 45 Watts. This means you can use low speed, quiet processor and case fans. Some of the latest hard drives, in the 500GB - 1TB range are called "green" and are low power rated and quieter than others.

The key is low power, which translates to less heat, which translates to a quiet system when viewing on TV.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.