PC Hardware forum

General discussion

building computer

by cpb / December 1, 2004 9:17 AM PST

I just built a computer for a friend. When I went to start it, it only flickered (fan did about 1/8 revolution) and died. I disconnected drives etc. and left only motherboard hooked up. Same thing. I tried it with the power supply from my working computer. Same thing. Does anyone have any ideas? I can return stuff to newegg, but don't know how to troubleshoot enough to know what to send back. This is only my 3rd assembly, had no trouble before. I took precautions for static etc. thanks!cpb

here are the specs. 1 gig PC3200 corsair ram, AMD athlon 64 3200 CPU, Chaintech Mobo with nVidia GeForce 3 chipset, Radeon 9600 256mb video card, Creative soundblaster live! Sound card, Maxtor 200 gig Hard drive, 350w power supply.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: building computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: building computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: building computer
by Michael Geist / December 1, 2004 9:32 AM PST
In reply to: building computer

Before I build a system I will do a partial assembly of the motherboard/CPU&HSF/RAM/Power Supply and Video card on top of the motherboards box. The reason is twofold:

1) If the parts listed do not boot to the main screen, then I know one or more of these parts are responsible.
2) Why waste the time of a complete assembly in a case without knowing if the parts work.

Collapse -
Fan twitching
by Steven Haninger / December 2, 2004 12:29 AM PST

This is a sign that there is power to the PS and it tried to start but shut down automatically. This can occur in an over load or an underload condition and is why some who try to turn on a PS without plugging it in think it's bad because the fan(s) don't run. You can buy a PS load device to test these outside of a PC, BTW. The post about putting the MB on a surface outside the box is correct. One common problem is a metal standoff in the case that's under the MB and causing a short circuit.

Collapse -
by jconner / December 2, 2004 4:06 AM PST

Which fan died or does not work? If it was the CPU FAN and this is an AMD, the CPU MAY have fried (not before but as a result). Since you've eliminated the power supply and if the CPU fan is not bad (replace it first to check), then the power through the motherboard to the CPU fan is definitely bad. That would suggest the motherboard has a problem.

Double check connections, jumpers, overclocking etc. etc.

Do as others have suggested and test the minimum first to see if it goes into setup.

Collapse -
jconner. Just a note. The 64 bit
by Ray Harinec / December 2, 2004 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: Re: building computer

AMD CPU's have similar overtemp protection built in like the Intels. Thus they are much less susceptible to frying. They will shutdown.

They also have the heat spreader.

Collapse -
by api51 / December 2, 2004 11:10 PM PST

Usually when you build a computer it works right off, but if you had a number of beeps when the computer is starting they tell you something about the problem. If no beeps then you need to check that your memory is seated in the slots properly and that the cpu is also seated properly. Sometimes remove and reset the cpu and membory to make sure. Check the cpu for bent pins if applicable or was the lever used to lock the cpu in properly pushed back into place.

Make sure that you have connected both cables from the power supply to the motherboard and that you have disconnected for test purposes all the fans except for the cpu fan. If you use a video card in a slot make sure it is seated level with the motherboard they can cause real problems if not seated and the mobo some times doesn't give you a hint.

Good luck, if all else fails get a new motherboard, cpu and memory not just one or the other but all three in one shot.

Andy.

Collapse -
by UnWritten7 / December 9, 2004 6:31 AM PST

Be sure to use spacers between the case and the MB or it will short circuit(Just in case you didnt know about spacers).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?