PC Hardware forum

General discussion

building computer

i want to build a computer.can someone let me know a good source to buy everything?or is it better to buy each item from different places on each peice of hardware?
thanks,edward

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: building computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: building computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There's two ways to go about this...

In reply to: building computer

First, we will assume you've done your homework, have decided on which components to buy, and are just looking for the best way to buy.

Way 1): Log in to pricewatch.com amd get the lowest price period for that item. Make sure, however, that you are really getting the model you want. Lots of vendors substitute keywords and letters that mean a lot...an SE isn't an XT, etc. Double check before ordering. Most items will be OEM or bare (bare HDD's actually have a longer warranty thean retail box!) there's nothing wrong with that, they will come w/ drivers. Always get a mobo in retail box. Lowest price is your winner, but trust your gut. This way is the most fun, as pieces trickle in from all over and you do pay bottom dollar.

TIP: One place to NOT scrimp is RAM, unless you're just building a number-cruncher. For power users, there really will be a difference, stick with Brand names like Corsiar, Crucial or Kingston. 1GB is minimum, (2)-512MB has a lower latency than (1)-1GB stick.

Way 2): Buy everything in one place, like newegg.com. This is the way I'm headed more & more, as the slight cost difference is worth the convenience. There's a few things they don't carry, and I've had to go elsewhere for pieces, but I usually give these guys the meat of ny order. Really easy checkout too.

Good luck & email me if you have any problems or questions!

Tony

Collapse -
NEWEGG, NCIX

In reply to: There's two ways to go about this...

I've never bought stuff from online, but Ihear Newegg is pretty good

THeres this store called NCIX (I think it's located in Canada though) that is also pretty good.

Collapse -
newegg

In reply to: NEWEGG, NCIX

i bought the vase majority of my current builds parts from them and had no problems whatsoever. delivery time was extremely quick too. i ordered a few flash drives first to test them out and since i used the budget shipping i figured it'd be a week or 2 before stuff showed up. i think it was 5 days later i got home from class and they had arrived so they are very quick when it comes to getting stuff to you.

Collapse -
re: build computer

In reply to: newegg

THANKS for the replies!!
i am going to check out the
newegg.
Edward

Collapse -
You will find newegg to be great

In reply to: re: build computer

the fedex shipping is almost unbelievably good. I always get the item one day before the date in the original fedex tracking info. Many other places give a low price and steal from you with the shipping cost.

Collapse -
Don't fall for the $2.99 "express" shipping...

In reply to: re: build computer

Newegg has an "expedited shipping" for $2.99 that's for suckers only, I've NEVER used that and still get my parts within 3-4 days. I don't see how they could do it faster, unless they do them in their sleep! Always choose the least-expensive shipping method, unless it's an emergency.

Collapse -
Buying parts....

In reply to: There's two ways to go about this...

You have received some good advice, and practically everyone (including me) in these forums who have had dealings with Newegg have good results. I have read some time back of only one slight complaint, and that was them charging a 'restocking fee' on a certain item, but just about everyone charges a 'restocking fee' on certain returned items.

About buying ''OEM''. There may be a longer warranty on certain OEM hard drives, but I always advise people who are new at buying mail order, installing parts, and not familiar with OEM parts to buy ''RETAIL'' boxed. When you see something that is indicated as ''White Box'' or ''Bulk'' it is normally ''OEM''. OEM (original equipment manufacture) parts may be made for a specific computer company like Dell, HP, Emachine, and others that may have given specific paramenters/specifications of what they want in the items construction, or the OEM may have cut corners in selling the OEM bulk parts. The OEM factory that actually makes the part may advertise their product commercially and sell it as ''RETAIL'', while making and selling an OEM version to a factory (or distributor getting ahold of OEM) that is not exactly like the 'Retail'. Also, on OEM versions you may not get instructions or manuals as the factory receiving the OEM item already knows and don't need.

I recall ordering a computer around 6 years ago from Dell that advertised a certain Voodoo Video Card with certain features. When the PC arrived, the Voodoo Video Card was the right one ordered but didn't have the feature that was advertised by the Voodoo manufacturer, or Dell. I telephone Voodoo and finally talked to a engineer who told me that the particular OEM card that they shipped to Dell didn't have the feature that they advertise on their Retail card. Telephoning Dell and finally reaching a buyer representative of Dell parts (you could do that in those days), he was totally unaware that the particular OEM Voodoo Card lacked the advertised feature. Well, Dell almost immediately modified their Voodoo advertisements. They sent a truck out to my house and picked up my computer as they couldn't give me the video card features I wanted. I received a full $$ refund and no charge for shipping/handling either way (they charged in those days).

When consumer VHS/Betamax cassette video recorders and camcorders came out is when I first heard about OEM, White Box, Bulk, vs Retail. Some mail order stores were selling them as OEM, White Box, Bulk, and when customers received them they were Japanese packed with instructions/manuals in Japanese and the units were set with switchable non US electricity and 50 cycle.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) My above post was meant for Hartlanders.

In reply to: Buying parts....

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Whatever, makes you comfortable

Collapse -
Newegg AND ChiefValue

Newegg is good for SOME parts, but I've found their shipping a little pricier than ChiefValue. Both are EXCELLENT, however. Everything I've ordered from them (RAM, speakers, video card, etc.) has arrived at least 1 day earlier than the FedEx expected delivery date.

Tip: Newegg is cheaper on sound cards at the lower end, but ChiefValue is cheaper on the higher end ones (and usually they have free FedEx shipping!) Also, compare them, since they seem to be in direct competition with one another. (Some mornings one will have a monitor on sale and when I check the other, the exact monitor is also on sale!) RAM is usually cheaper at ChiefValue and Video cards, I've found, are less expensive at Newegg.

Like another poster stated, if you're looking at pricewatch.com, pay CLOSE attention - I've noticed some model numbers advertised aren't the same ones when you visit the seller's web site.

Good luck and have fun!

Graham

Collapse -
Hardware from Chiefvalue and NewEgg

In reply to: Newegg AND ChiefValue

Well, I agree that NewEgg has pretty good deals, but I would avoid ChiefValue! I ordered a monitor from them last month and received an email receipt for a much higher price than what was advertised. I told them to either cancel the order or charge the advertised price. They told me that they could change their prices whenever they want, and they ignored my request to cancel the order. Since then they've somehow disappeared and not responded to any of my emails.

Collapse -
Sorry to hear that...

In reply to: Hardware from Chiefvalue and NewEgg

...about ChiefValue. I've never had a problem, but I'll pay close attention when ordering (like I always do) based on your comments.

Ciao,

Graham

Collapse -
: building computer

You will find that newegg seams to be the winner most of the time. I have used tirgerdirect and Fry's outpost and computer gate, but I start with newwgg.
Have you ever built one before??? If not repost and I'll post some links that will be helpfull. John

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Newegg!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.