HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Building a PC

by Fobos / November 8, 2004 1:04 PM PST

Hello everyone. I need a PC for a specific use and I was wondering if you guys could help me get the best one. I'm going to start a music related business and I need a machine that can help me in music recording; which means that it has to be fast, with a lot of physical memory and with a kick *** sound card. I've been away from the PC world and I don't know what technology fits me better, so I need you guys to tell me what to buy.

You're help will be very welcomed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Building a PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Building a PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only MHO but
by Ray Harinec / November 9, 2004 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: Building a PC

You don't need super fast. Virtually anything that you buy nowadays will be plenty fast. You don't want on board sound, but if it comes with it you can disable it. Seems that the Creative Labs Audigy series is among the better sound cards. Of course great speakers are needed to hear the sound properly, but one buys them separately from the computer.

Yes, you want a large size hard drive, if it is a new computer it should support any drive presently available, 300GB's are available, matters not whether IDE or SATA drive, although SATA is newer technology so has the best growth capability. Most mobo's now have both IDE and SATA controllers. Older ones could have a BIOS limit of 137 GB, but even then one can get around that..

Get a good DVD burner to save your music files to a data DVD from the hard drive to always have plenty of room on the drive.

Collapse -
Re: Building a PC
by jconner / November 9, 2004 8:50 AM PST

Why not look at whats being sold at Musician's Friend or one of the other music supply houses and see what they offer and then just mimic it. You are probably getting your recording software from a place like that anyway.

Be sure the system support both USB, Firewire and all the extended sound card features, including MIDI as all the inputs offered for recording come with those type interfaces.

Collapse -
Re: Building a PC
by JR_nova / December 11, 2004 12:53 AM PST

things you might want: -1 GB ram
-nvidia soundstrorm sound card
-at least 120 gb hard drive
-at least 2.0 ghz processor

Collapse -
Music machine
by jcrobso / December 17, 2004 6:18 AM PST

What kind of software? Are you talking about PC based multi track recording, etc. There are Pro cards that have 8 input channels, but are expensive. Most of the people that are in the music business use MACs, ( Mac was way ahead of PCs in multi-media at one time) I have used both the biggest advantage of a MAC is the OS which tends to have better stability than MS products. Most of the software comes in both MAC & PC versions. The downside of a MAC is the cost around $1500 to get you in door. You can put a high powered PC togther for about half that amount. Again what are your needs. John

Collapse -
free class starts Monday
by MTZ / December 17, 2004 10:38 AM PST

I just signed up for the free class here on building your own pc.
You might want to check it out.
I've been upgrading for years but there are so many more choices now I figured some help would be needed.
The lessons look pretty good.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.