HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

building a computer

by AMDrules / November 19, 2004 6:04 PM PST

I recently decided to fulfill my 32 year old sister's X-mass dream by building her a home computer. She claims that she will only need it for the microsoft office programs for her work, but I'm willing to bet she will use it for more than that (music downloads and websurfing). This tempts me to get her a more advanced computer, but the problem is I'm on a budget. Since she doesn't play games, would it be better to get her an Intel as opposed to an AMD?
At the moment I plan to get her the AMD Athlon 3200+ so she can buy Windows 64 in a few months. Is this a good move?
Lastly, does anyone have system recommendations I might not have mentioned. Keep in mind I am building it myself to avoid the fees of custom builders, so dell is out of the question.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: building a computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: building a computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: building a computer
by Willy / November 19, 2004 7:42 PM PST
In reply to: building a computer

In my experience it doesn't make sense to buy something now hopefully for something else to be available later. Too often it doesn't work that way in the pc world, at least in a dependable way. Get what's available and build a decent system that works for the tasks desired. The real plus, IMHO its more upgrade friendly and thus lasts longer in the end user hands before moving on. Please consider a stable hi-wattage power supply in the 400W+ range or better.

You want to save money, well you're not going to in a big way other than the builders cost. The componets/devices on a 1-to-1 basis cost more even if shopping around, you do the best you can. On the other hand a pre-build system from eMachine, Dell, HP, etc.. for under $500 or so, offers some s/w package, the OS, maybe monitor and its ready for just about any task(s) desired of it. Maybe some more ram added for alittle more cost and usually its ready to go. Excluding any weird problems, that's it.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by JK654 / November 20, 2004 7:26 AM PST

An Athlon 64 is great for business software.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=6

If you want to build a very inexpensive system for business software, you could build an Athlon XP 2600+ system. You could get a 2600+ motherboard combo with good motherboard, cpu, and heatsink for around $120.
An Athlon 3000+ combo(socket 754 would cost around $220) socket 939 would cost around $250.

Collapse -
by AMDrules / November 20, 2004 11:38 AM PST

So you think I should just forget about a 64 bit processor? Assuming I had just $600 to spend on the tower.

Collapse -
by JK654 / November 20, 2004 1:06 PM PST

My last sentence should have read Athlon 64 3000+.

For business software, there isn't a great advantage in favor of the Athlon 64 3000+ vs Athlon XP 3000+(or 2600+). The large performance difference come in gaming, Photoshop, multimedia, CAD, etc.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=6

Collapse -
by Happy PC Shopper / November 22, 2004 4:32 AM PST

AMD

I would not put Dell out of the picture.

For $817
This is what I got for my buck. You have to be patient and be ready to jump on the specials they offer. I could not build this system for less than what I paid.

I got a P4 3.0 GHZ w/HT 1MB CACHE
512 MB Dual Channel Ram PC3200
160 GB HD
DVD ROM
DVD Multi format burner with dual layer (By Philips)
128MB Ratheon video card 300
17" LCD Flat Panel monitor

To buld this system would cost over $1000.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
If your on a budget and want some bang for you cash....
by Cluchetti / October 5, 2005 8:04 AM PDT

go with an AMD Processor. And use an ASUS motherboard and Seagate Hdds!

Good Luck!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) and buy everything at Newegg.com!
by Cluchetti / October 5, 2005 8:06 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.