HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Building A Computer

by erniel--2008 / October 10, 2005 10:44 AM PDT

I am currently trying to build a computer for my daughter. I purchased a ABit NF8-V motherboard and AMD Sempron processor bundle, along with a Western Digital 40 gig HDD, a Nvidia G Force FX5200 video card, 512 Meg Kingston Memory, and a 350 watt power supply. After assembly, the memory and video card work fine, the board and processor come up, but will not recognize the hdd at all, nor will it recognize the CD ROM. Any ideas or suggestions? ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Building A Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Building A Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dunno?!?
by HKPK_2005 / October 10, 2005 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Building A Computer

I have a computer similiar to yours, mines is equipped with a Anthlon XP 2400+ 2.0 Ghz. and I have 640 mb. or RAM, a Geforce FX 5700VE, 160 Gb. of hard Drive space, and this sucka really isn't a good gaming performer for me. If gaming isn't your thing, then your PC is quite decent, but if you game, then you could just forget about it........

Collapse -
Tell us what type drives precisely
by Ray Harinec / October 10, 2005 10:53 AM PDT

SATA, PATA? Exactly what ports on the mobo are they attached to?? Exactly how are they jumpered?? Are you using an 80 conductor ribbon cable??

What settings re the drives are made in the BIOS???

Collapse -
Drive Types
by erniel--2008 / October 10, 2005 10:57 AM PDT

the hdd is a western digital wd400

the DVD/CD Rom is a BTC 8x, 8x combo drive

Collapse -
You didn't tell me how they are jumpered and
by Ray Harinec / October 10, 2005 12:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Drive Types

what ports they are on. [Primary IDE, Secondary IDE]

Western Digital drives have somewhat unusual jumpering if you are NOT using Cable Select jumpering [and a ribbon cable that supports CS] (all 80 conductor {40 pin}cables support CS).

For normal maste / slave jumpering the WD drives use different jumpering if it is to be a masrter and there is to not be a slave on the ribbon cable. If it is to be a Master and a slave to be on the ribbon cable [and the slave MUST be there all the time].

Actually as master with no slave there is no jumper, HOWEVER in order to have a jumper available if needed they put the jumper horizontally just for storage, thuus that is actually no jumper as far as the drive configuration is concerned.

Now if using Cable Select [CS] (CSEL], the Master drive MUST be connected to the end connector and the slave connected to the middle connector. {not always nice if the hard drive is low in the case and the ATAPI drive higher up in the case.

If you have two IDE ports on the mobo, easiest to attach each to a different cable.

Collapse -
Problem Solved
by erniel--2008 / October 10, 2005 2:35 PM PDT

Thanks Ray......You were right on target......the HDD was jumpered as a Master with no slave on board. Many thanks for you assistance......couldn't have done it without you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.