General discussion

Building a comp first time...

I had a couple of questions...getting all my hardware today. amd 64 3500+, asus a8v deluxe mobo, 350 watt psu, and case...

1. Does the retail box for an amd 64 3500+ come with a heat sink and fan and thermal paste or tape? I ordered a heatsink and fan just in case. How good is newegg with returns if it already has a heatsink? Or should i use the one i bought anyway, since its probably better than the stock one?

2. Any advice or pointers for putting this thing together?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Building a comp first time...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Building a comp first time...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Why the small power supply?

The CPU alone can be 100 Watts. Add much else and that PS will be taxed, then fail and cause the owner a lot of grief plus time lost.

Bob

- Collapse -
Agree with Robert re PS wattage.

The retail box comes with HSF and either paste or tape that is already applied to the HSF base. [they seem to change periodically]. Can't move it to the other HSF

Re assembly. Assemble in small steps and power up after each. If you are mounting the mobo in a case that had a prior mobo, make certain that you remove any metal standoff's that don't align with the new mobos mounting holes. They can short out artwork [circuitry] on the mobo.

First step after mounting mobo [mount CPU and HSF to mobo before putting it in case], connect PS to mobo [two connectors], front panel connectors to mobo, speaker to mobo. Plug the HSF in to the mobo. Power up just for a quickie to see that the HSF fan runs and that everything works this far.

Then you can add memory. Power up, get lots of beeps because of no video.[there's no mouse no keyboard yet]. Then add video and monitor, power up see the first screen. Shut down add keyboard, power up and get into BIOS.

At this point you may want to update your BIOS if a later version is available. Most newer mobo's allow for this before you install an operating system. Then you would first have to add a floppy drive and maybe a mouse.

When powered down to add things be certain to turn off the Power Supply by the switch on the rear of the supply. Else there will still be the 5 volt standby power applied to mobo creating a slight risk. Most new mobos have an LED on the mobo that is lighted when that 5 volts is there.

- Collapse -
came with the case

I'm not going to put in many drives...so i was hoping that the ps that came with the case would be sufficient. Did you say that enermax would be decent?

- Collapse -
Indecent.
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/ notes that this Wattage rating is highly suspect.

Also, you are building in a few month fuse by taxing the supply to near or over its limits. Even if it works the first week, in months you'll get random reboots and wonder why. By then you've stress not only the power supply but the motherboard capacitors which means you may have more parts to replace.

Not an item to skimp.

Bob
- Collapse -
In an earlier thread

I had mentioned trying to buy a case without the power supply because the PS's that come with a case are USUALLY low bid items.

Enermax makes two lines of power supplies, the better line is called True Power, very unlikely to find them with the case.

In your case use what you have and keep your eye out for any flaky operation. If you start getting hangs and reboots, shutdowns etc just buy a higher wattage supply and sell this one for less demanding systems.

If the CPU that you got is the 90 NM version, the power consumption is considerably lower than the 130 NM version. Just checked, yours max is 89 Watts.

Robert is a very experienced individual. Might consider paying him much heed. [his post showed while I was typing this]

- Collapse -
I also agree...

that that is not enuf power. U should get atleast 450 watts and maybe more if u have the money

- Collapse -
Just sharing...

I picked up some 680 Watt ATX supplies for 25 bucks. Not that the machine needed it. I just know that this area gives the machines an edge on stability over time.
-> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ESTAR-680-N

350 Watts is both slim and not ... 350 Watts.

Bob

- Collapse -
booted up ok

I got it together and everything booted right up. I will exchange the giant heat sink and fan i didn't need for a better power supply ASAP.

Now I need to figure out why it says bios isn't loaded.

And I have very little knowledge about RAID. Any links to good info?

Thanks for all the help, you've all been great!

- Collapse -
The bios is not loaded if the RAID is not used.

It's supposed to do that.

Who did you buy this from and why don't they answer your questions about the product they sold you?

Bob

- Collapse -
Thanx much, for keeping us informed.

You must enable the RAID ports in the BIOS in order for the RAID BIOS to show during the boot process. That may only be the message in case you put something on the RAID controller and didn't enable it/them.

Some RAID controllers will allow you to use them for IDE or ATAPI drives, some won't allow either or one or the other.

CNET Forums

Forum Info