Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Desktops forum

General discussion

Building 1st Computer.... Help?

by brett_henney / October 5, 2006 8:43 AM PDT

So... I have decided I want to try to build my first computer. I know a pretty good amount about computers compared to the normal person, but not nearly as much as most on this site (from reading peoples posts). I thought I might try to take a stab and see if people out there could help.

Situation:

This computer is NOT going to be for gaming it is going to be for work purposes. My work is 100% on a computer. I am an architect and use it all day. I use Auto CAD, Photoshop, Illustrator etc... At any given time I have 5-10 programs open all working together, surfing the internet and listening to music. The computer I have now ALWAYS freezes and it drives me crazy. Sometimes I lose info I am working on.

I was wondering if people could respond with their recommendations on parts and how to configure the system. The only requirements I have is I would like to have 2 computer monitors. Since I have so many programs open at once this would make it easier. I will also be using Windows XP SP2.

Thank you for your time and advice in advance!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Building 1st Computer.... Help?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Building 1st Computer.... Help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What are you budgeting for this beast of burden ?
by VAPCMD / October 5, 2006 1:36 PM PDT

How much RAM are you shooting for ?

Collapse -
Your off to a good start.
by acoxon1274 / October 6, 2006 9:43 AM PDT

Of the software you are using or may use in the future which software?s system requirements are the most demanding? Once you determine that then these requirements would be your new computer?s minimum system requirements. A software program has a footprint of resources it uses so if you are using more than 1 program at a time your new computer will need to walk with all its feet. The point is you need to figure out what your new computer?s total system requirements will be. The software becomes your guide as to what you build.

By 2 monitors do you mean you want a continuous desktop or 2 monitors displaying the same thing? Because your are running so many apps at the same time do you feel you need a bigger desktop? If that is the case you need to pick a video card that can do a continuous desktop. Then make sure the card comes with connections that will hook to the monitors you want to use. The resolution and refresh rate of those monitors and video card must be high enough to allow you to work comfortably.

Because you use your current computer for work can you afford to scrap it for parts to build the new one? I would recommend keeping it in a fully functional state while you build your new computer. I often find that during a build I need to get drivers, check specs, and get advice/support. So having a working computer around is very handy.

The perfect PC is just a compromise of what you want and what you can get. With more info from you, I can recommend components with more confidence. At this level of input I can only be very general as to what to begin to look for.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!