Desktops forum

General discussion

Build or buy?

by Beetle559 / March 3, 2009 10:47 AM PST

I've been shopping around for a gaming machine for a few weeks now and I've almost settled on Digital Storm to build my first true gaming rig however the more I look at the benefits of building my own PC the more tempting it becomes. There's a few things holding me back, among them are how to troubleshoot? How to avoid compatability issues. Fear factor (BIOS scares me a little). No tech support. Did I spend my money in the right places?

I have a budget of $2000-$2500 for this so I know the savings of building my own will be very significant however that warm fuzzy feeling of warranties and tech support will be gone.

I do like that I'll be getting educated as I go but fear the pain and frustration that education may cause (not to mention money) so I guess after all my rambling my question is...Will that education, pain and suffering (assuming Murphy's law is in full effect) end up as a rewarding and satisfactory experience or should I play it safe?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Build or buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Build or buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: Build or buy?
by C_Jones / March 3, 2009 12:13 PM PST
In reply to: Build or buy?

Yeah, get some good education, you won't regret it. I've built three computers and when/if something goes wrong with them, I enjoy fixing the problem (because I know what is in the computer and how it is put together); and I've had absolutely zero regrets about building my own computer, I'll NEVER go back to a pre-built piece of crap. You just can't get past the quality of a homemade machine (so to speak).

With warranties and stuff wherever you buy your components, it should come with its own warranty; and you're your own tech support.

I purchase my components at http://www.newegg.com.

P.S. Don't worry about BIOS', because you just shouldn't upgrade BIOS', you'll have to build a whole new computer before you'll want to do that.

Collapse -
Build/buy
by Phil Crase / March 3, 2009 10:44 PM PST

Build it, you won't regeret it. For 2k you can build a pretty decent system and then you KNOW what you have. It is not hard to do, by the time you get done you will be surprised at the result. For 2k (or less) you can build a slick system, far superior to what you can buy retail, unless you spend a ton of money and go to Alienware. Just do it, you will have fun!!! Good luck!!!

Collapse -
check out the builds in this guide
by ramarc / March 3, 2009 11:26 PM PST
http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=3497&p=5

btw, $2000 builds a high-end pc... you can have a great gamer for far less. you could build a core i7, but i wouldn't recommend it for a first-time builder since the mobos are still a bit finicky.

here's a $1,600 build with a fast quad core, 4gb ram, dual 640gb hard drives, blu-ray drive, radeon hd 4870 1gb, xonar audio, wireless mouse/keyboard, and a 23" monitor. basically everything but speakers.

mobo: ASUS P5Q SE/R, $100
cpu: Intel Core2Quad Q9550, 2.83ghz quad core, $280
ram: G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2-800, CL4, $50
video: XFX Radeon HD 4870, 1GB, $220
audio: ASUS Xonar audio, pci-express, $90
hd: 2xWestern Digtial Caviar Green 640GB HD, $140
optical: LG GGC-H20L, BluRay/HD-DVD reader, DVD burner, retail, $120
cpu cooler: asus v60, $40
case: Antec 900, $110
power supply: Corsair 650W, 80plus, $100
kb/mouse: Microsoft Wireless Laser 5000, $40
monitor: Acer X233Hbid LCD, $210

intel matrixraid will allow you to setup the dual hard drives as a 100GB mirrored C: drive and a 1TB striped D: drive. if you want more gaming horsepower, a geforce gtx 285 is another $120.
Collapse -
Build
by Phil Crase / March 4, 2009 10:51 PM PST

Good system!!! I built something similar, except single drive and using MSI MB w/900 antec case, Intel processor instead of AMD but I think for what he wants to do the AMD would be the better choice.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?