TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Build a Surround Sound System.

by anymo21 / April 25, 2008 3:06 PM PDT

Hi I am trying to make a home theater surround sound system but I'm confused with the AV Receivers, Amplifiers, Outputs, etc. I want a 5.1 surround sound about 1000 watts total output.
--I already have a sub woofer(150 watts), 2 front speaker(each 125 watts).--
_I need to buy a center and two rears speakers._
+ Most 5.1 receivers are 500watts, I'm thinking of getting a 500 watts av reciever on ebay.
Can somebody plz tell me what I need to do to achieve 1000watts.
What watts should my center and rears speaker be? Do I need an amplifier? If so what kind of amp? How many channel amp and what watts?
I'M confuse!!! Im trying to build this as cheap as possible.

PS:(sorry if this message is bad, its my first message. I'll really appreciate any help. Thank You.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Build a Surround Sound System.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Build a Surround Sound System.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your concern is bass-ackwards.
by NM_Bill / April 26, 2008 12:41 AM PDT

Sales hype about high maximum current handling capacity as expressed as total watts, only reflects what may be typical as to merchants selling packaged audio setups as an add on to HDTVs.

As an old audiophile, I am only interested in speakers accuracy & musicality. Wattage in regards to that may be typical or only incidental. What matters is what it is going to sound like. That's what is important.

I am not upset at all about you possibly getting an A/V receiver on ebay. Only that you need assurance as to what you are getting what you pay for. Like is it new, carry full makers warranty, or that it works perfectly well if used. It is common that lots of people overbuy for the receiver & short themselves on the part that sounds different - which is the speakers. Most folks use a receiver as the power source. It is usually more ambitious people who may use a just an amplifier instead. As you want a 5.1 system, the power source must have at least 5 channels. (assuming the powered sub takes care of it's own power needs)

There is a community of well meaning folks here who like to post about A/V. If you would like specific advice we would benefit from knowing what specific speakers you already have & your realistic budget .

More often than not, sub woofers are self powered, but not always. First importance is selecting a center channel that is compatible & preferably matched to the front L&Rs. A center channel is not the place to try to do it on the cheap. A center channel is set up to anchor the dialog. In doing so, it typically handles around 65%-70% of all the sound.

It is the surround speakers that handle much less sound info in typical situations. They are the speakers that don't need to be as important than the others, but I'm sure you do want them OK enough to give you the surround experience you want.

Of course some fans may say you do actually need a thousand total watts or more. On a practical level, hardly. The electronics, such as the receiver or amp, are supposed to & largely do, sound the same within narrow bounds. On the other hand, speaker brands, & often models within brand, hav etheir own sound character. That is why it is so important to get out & give them a serious listen to, & compare.

Post back with that info, OK?

Collapse -
Ebay
by dinox64 / April 26, 2008 4:01 PM PDT

There are certified resalers on Ebay and their products carry the manufacturers warranty as if new. I would go that way if not in a hurry and the savings was substantial on something you like. Don't forget to consider shipping cost in the savings. Open boxes at the big chains are good deals too.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!