Computer Help forum

General discussion

Bugcode_usb_driver blue screen and vista install

by Fluvre / May 19, 2010 7:30 AM PDT

after encountering a problem with installing the wrong version of windows vista (basic with a home premium key ( the disk with basic had sp1 the home premium not so much)) and when my computer would crash every time it fell asleep i decided to wipe the partition and do a clean vista install with a slipstreamed home premium sp1 disk.

Computer set up at this point - it is a franken build some parts new (4 months old) some 3 years old)
asus p5e3 pro motherboard
4 year old intel core 2 duo processor (not sure about model) -old
2 gig gskill ram
300 gig WD hard drive- old
1tb seagate barracuda hard drive

My first reinstall attempt with the slipstreamed disk went alright until the computer needed to reboot. When the computer started up again it gave me an blue screen of death error message
Bugcode_usb_driver
along with telling me to make sure any new installs were done correctly as well as telling me to try starting windows in safe mode

I hadn't installed anything new so I tried restarting-
the install tried to start over, so I let it and tried installing again hoping it was a random one time thing.
it wasn't
the next time after the crash I took out the install cd and windows tried to start normally
if I try to start in safe mode it says it needs to finish installing and cant do that in safe mode
if I try just loading windows normally the usb bugcode pops up again

after attempting to install windows several times (using a torrented sp2 disk (which failed halfway through install), the original home premium disk, the basic sp1 disk I had originally used to install the operating system) on both hard drives, after formatting them and deleting partitions and remaking them. I tried installing ubuntu. that install went fine. it loads it runs and it gives me new ways to format the hard drives.
After a day or so of this i decided that this was a good excuse to upgrade from my old processor to a new one, and the motherboard along with that (i though it was a motherbord problem) (i had updated the bios on the motherboard as well)

fearing it might just be the hard drives starting to fail (i was desperate at this point) I picked up a 500gig seagate drive to test as a blank slate. The original disk i used to install windows failed to work with this hard drive.

the new hardware arrived
msi p55-gd65 motherboard
intel i5 -750 processor

finally figuring my problems were at an end i tried installing again and I get the same
bugcode_usb_driver blue screen when I try and install

i've checked and made sure everything was installed right, tried it with all hd's plugged in and with each hard drive on it's own plugged in and still no luck

Any ideas on how to install windows when a new motherboard, hard drive and processor wont make the problem go away? I would guess i may have left something out of the different things i've tried but i did my best. i would appreciate trying anything at this point

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bugcode_usb_driver blue screen and vista install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bugcode_usb_driver blue screen and vista install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Odd approach.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2010 8:56 AM PDT

I read this and read about "wrong version", "slipstream" and more. My thought here is to forget slipstream and do this the old fashioned way. Just the OS, then the drivers and updates.

Reading http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973208 supports this idea as your slipstream is likely to cause the issue not avoid or fix it.
Bob

Collapse -
tried non slipstream
by Fluvre / May 19, 2010 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Odd approach.

i've tried the non slipstreamed versions of vista (sp1 and basic) as well and they have all given me the same bugcode.
The original reason I wanted a slipstreamed disk is because the asus motherboard recommends using only sp1 and higher for vista.
original disks, on a new hard drive, motherboard, and processor still give the same error.
i tried again though and no luck

Collapse -
Let's say the stock OS fails.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2010 8:39 PM PDT
In reply to: tried non slipstream

It means there is a hardware issue to resolve. Looking at this post I can only guess that the Vista DVD is from your old machine.

What was that old machine. That may give up a clue about that Vista DVD.

-> About slipstream. That's unsupportable. Microsoft won't help you there.
Bob

Collapse -
the old system
by Fluvre / May 19, 2010 10:08 PM PDT

was a dell xps, about 3/4 years old-
i'm not sure exactly about the specs but that is the system but the motherboard was proprietary. The processor and old hard drive are from that system. The hard drive has had several wipes since then though. (install dvd that came with it was vista home premium- no service packs)
The second non slipstreamed disk (vista basic sp1) is from a dell insperon 1750, core 2 duo processor

At this point I would guess some hardware problem too, especially after i got the same bugcode error when trying to reinstall vista using the same disk on the same system setup.

All my most recent install attempts have been with the original disks, i'm just trying to get it working at all now.

Collapse -
There it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2010 10:12 PM PDT
In reply to: the old system

That OS DVD is locked to Dell's gear. And the license dies with the old machine.

At least you were honest enough and shared this so we don't have to waste more posts on that dead end.

-> What other OS do you have to work with?
Bob

PS. Again, the issue of OEM Windows is deeply discussed. Can we avoid discussing that again?

Collapse -
if the lock was causing the problem
by Fluvre / May 19, 2010 11:42 PM PDT
In reply to: There it is.

then the os wouldn't have installed the first time
it did install, it worked fine for months. Then computer started crashing. I attempted a reinstall using the same disk on the same system it had installed on previously it did not work and I received the same bugcode error.
That said it can't hurt to assume I'm wrong (it seems to happen more and more with this computer).

i've got an xp cd and code not locked to anything around somewhere. unfortunately i'm not going to get a chance to try anything new until the weekend. i'll see what I can do to get another os besides ubuntu.

Collapse -
Let's say that is so.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2010 12:12 AM PDT

But you forgot that the DATE has changed since then and some OEM media can fail after some date. Try that. Set the date back but it does not matter since the license is dead and it's not a supportable position.

In fact, ANY discussion about how to get around OEM license restrictions results is a discussion being locked.

But many write "it worked before" and we know that we are not talking about the same machine. The machine has changed. Even a small thing like the date is a "change."
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?