Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

Alert

Bug in searching

by chipw6 / November 14, 2011 4:27 AM PST

I did a search for printer reviews. A list was presented sequenced by relevance (I think it was alphabetically). Attempts to present the results in a different sequence (editor rating, low price) failed - the sequence remained by relevance. This limits the usefulness of CNET printer reviews for my researching what printer to buy.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bug in searching
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bug in searching
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you try again?
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 16, 2011 7:02 AM PST
In reply to: Bug in searching

I just tried it using this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/1770-5_7-0.html?query=HP+laser+pro

and used the different "Sort by" drop down and they all worked for me. Watch the results carefully they do change and may take a second or so to load the selection. Note that the browser page will not refresh as the results are dynamically displayed as you select the different selections.

Let me know if it still doesn't work for you.

Thanks,
-Lee

Collapse -
Still don't work
by chipw6 / November 17, 2011 1:52 PM PST
In reply to: Can you try again?

I clicked your URL and the page presented doesn't have a "Sort by" option. I did a search for "HP laser pro" and got a page with the "Sort by" option.
But changing the "Sort by" to "Editors' rating" (or I think anything else) and the page remains as it was and "Sort by" has been changed back to "Relevance."
I don't know why we apparently get different results.
I got around my problem from a link to "Best printers." This gives printer reviews in "Editors' rating" sequence, but the sequencing problem remains, at least when I do it.

Collapse -
Clear Browser Cache.
by KenHusveg / November 17, 2011 2:02 PM PST
In reply to: Still don't work

Clear your browser cache and try again. Which browser are you using?

Collapse -
Browser? What browser?
by chipw6 / November 17, 2011 4:19 PM PST
In reply to: Clear Browser Cache.

I don't know what you mean by browser cache. If you mean history I don't want to clear it. I'm using Firefox 3.6 but I don't why this problem would have anything to do with the browser. It should be internal to the CNET website program.

Collapse -
Re: browser cache
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 17, 2011 4:56 PM PST
In reply to: Browser? What browser?

In Firefox it's called buffer. And you can clear it without touching, let alone clearing, your history.

And sorting works with me in Firefox. So it's more likely to be something in your PC than on the website.

This indeed limits the usefulness of using Firefox on your PC for this purpose. So my questions are:
- Does it work in IE and/or Chrome?
- Does it work on another PC?

Kees

Collapse -
Hello again
by chipw6 / December 3, 2011 2:26 PM PST
In reply to: Re: browser cache

I didn't know you'd responded.
I tried IE with the same results, ie change sort sequence to "Editor's Rating" or "Popularity" and it still shows sequenced by "Relevance."
I don't know how it can be anything but the CNET software, but if it works for you there must be some other variable.
It's one of life's mysteries that apparently I'm not meant to know.

Collapse -
Go to Printers
by KenHusveg / December 3, 2011 3:10 PM PST
In reply to: Hello again

Go to Printers.
http://reviews.cnet.com/printers/

At the top you'll see option filters by, Price, Manufacturer, Technology and other. Pick one

On your next page you should see similar filter options. Below these options notice, "You selected:" and "Remove all". It might be the filters that are throwing you off if so "Remove all" and start again.

Now try a few of the sort by options and you should be fine. Sometime the the same printer(s) will show up in multiple sorts because they are, relevant to your filter options, Editors Choice, User Choice and the best price.

This works fine for me in Vista with, Chrome, IE and Firefox.

Collapse -
Nope
by chipw6 / December 4, 2011 6:04 AM PST
In reply to: Go to Printers

(Under Printer Technology I noticed dot matrix which I didn't know was still around)
Still doesn't work for me. The only difference is that it reverts to "Review Date" rather that "Relevance," though on one attempt the text changed to "Editor Rating" (as I requested) but the sequence was unchanged and it wasn't "Editor Rating" sequence.
I'm running Windows XP and Firefox 3.6 but, like I said, I don't see how this can be anything but the CNET software, and why we're getting different results is beyond me.
Thanks for your responses but I don't think this is getting anywhere.

Collapse -
When you select a different filter...
by John.Wilkinson / December 4, 2011 9:59 PM PST
In reply to: Nope

Does the page refresh? Can you give us the URL of the page you're on initially, and then the URL it changes to after you select a sort option or refine your results? It works perfectly here as well (I tested with Firefox 3.6 on XP, just to be sure), so it's most likely an issue with your browser - perhaps Javascript. Are you disabling Javascript, perhaps with the extension NoScript?

John

Collapse -
Firefox 8.0
by chipw6 / December 5, 2011 7:27 AM PST

I just updated from Firefox 3.2 to 8.0 and the sequencing problem seems to have gone away. Why this is I'm sure nobody knows.
I sequenced by Lowest Price as verifying that the sequence was correct would be easy and found that you can get many printers for less than $10 (I'd guess these are from eBay).
Anyway, looks like the problem has gone away, though not resolved.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.