HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

buffering

by mabolam / January 27, 2008 3:31 AM PST

I am running Vista and when I am watching a live video on Windows Media Player the video will run for approx. 1 min., stop, buffering, then freeze. I will cancel out and restart the video only to have it stop again. Could anyone offer a solution? Thank you
Mark

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: buffering
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: buffering
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Internet Connection Not Fast Enough??...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 27, 2008 11:49 AM PST
In reply to: buffering

You didn't mention your internet connection type but slower bandwidth speeds do this frequently.. The best option is to stop the playback until enough data has downloaded to the machine so the video will play completely and smoothly.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
For Windows Media Player
by Dango517 / January 27, 2008 12:25 PM PST

On an open area of the toolbar, right click> tools> options> performance> network buffering> click, buffer, increase amount. Toy with the amount till you get it right.

Also In "DVD and Video playback" click the box beside "Drop frames to............"

Or download Real Player. It's nearly universal now and play almost all the major players within it, WMP, Quick Time, DivX, even Adobe. If nothing else with it there's only one set of settings to fool with. Happy

This thread untracked

Collapse -
buffering
by mabolam / January 28, 2008 3:01 AM PST

Dango517,
I went into your suggestions and changed the buffering from 5 sec. (recommended) to 10 sec. I also checked the box with "Drop frames to.."
I appreciate your time.

Collapse -
buffering
by mabolam / January 28, 2008 2:43 AM PST

Thank you for your time. I have DSL and the piece I usually watch is live. Very frustrating.

Collapse -
Which DSL?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 28, 2008 9:06 AM PST

There are a lot of cheap deals for "half speed" DSL which is running about 750 Kbps bandwidth. The data isn't transfered quickly enough for some types of video transmissions. Do a check of your bandwidth at either of the links below..

http://pcpitstop.com/internet/Bandwidth.asp

http://www.dslreports.com/stest

They'll both come up with slightly different numbers but they should give you a general idea of how much speed you've got. For some HD streaming video, even the 1.5 Mbps can occasionally be jumpy..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
what dsl
by mabolam / January 28, 2008 10:42 AM PST
In reply to: Which DSL?

Hi Grif,
Thank you for you input. My DSL is 1.5/256K. I run both tests and had the following results: dslreports 655Kb/s
PC pitstop 799Kb/s
I noticed after running the PC Pitstop, there were quite a few red items that could be remedied if I bought the program. Is this a program that will help the performance? Again thank you.
Mark

Collapse -
Slow Speed..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 30, 2008 3:52 AM PST
In reply to: what dsl

Your bandwidth doesn't match what you've paid for.. You should be getting 1500 Kbps (1.5 Mbps). Instead, you're getting half that which explains why the buffering is occurring.

PCPitstops program won't help you get more bandwidth.. It may, or may not help the performance of the computer but won't speed up the ability of your computer to download files.. I would certainly check to see if there are updated drivers for your ethernet card and your modem/router.. The drivers might help speed up your downloads.. You might also check with your ISP to see if there is a problem in the line.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.