PC Applications forum

General discussion

Buffer underrun problems with Plextor PX-716A

by MrFletch / July 11, 2005 4:02 AM PDT

I have burnt 3 out of 4 dvds and this is what i experience:
During burnin, with Nero 6.6, the buffer levels keep emptying and filling. The light on the drive's panel will go from the "blinking" orange (burning in progress) to green (burning has stopped/paused) and vice versa.
This happens every couple of seconds, and writing at 8X on Fujifilm DVD-R will take as long as 25 mins sometimes. The one time this never happened (when burning never paused), burning at 8X took around 8 mins.

All 4 dvds that were burnt were full 4.7GB DVDs, and although i experienced this problem, the dvds could still be read after i tried them in 2 different DVD drives. Thank God for Buffer Underrun Prevention.

Is this normal behaviour.

I must mention that when burning the first 2 DVDs, i had about 2.5 gb (out of 54 gb) of space left. I freed up some space and burnt the other 2 DVDs with 11 gb of free space.

I tried restarting first, closing programs, disabled NAV and same problem. I have Lavasoft ad-aware, and pop-up blocker enabled.

What i think is that the burner is demanding more information than the hard drive is supplying. This is just what i think. But my computer isnt exactly that old-aged. I take care of it well. The only problem i have is that i keep my HD more than 75% filled and hence why i am trying to back up on DVDs now.

Im running XP home SP2, 2.4 GHz P4, 256 mb RAM.

Please help me correct this problem. Is the burner, the computer or the DVD media the problem?\

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buffer underrun problems with Plextor PX-716A
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buffer underrun problems with Plextor PX-716A
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Couple of suggestions
by TONI H / July 11, 2005 5:05 AM PDT

Go to Plextor's site and look for a firmware update for your burner device itself. Then go to Nero and see if there are any hardware/dvd device updates, not necessarily a Nero PROGRAM type update.

Once done, make sure that you have defragged the partition or harddrive that holds the movie file that you will be burning so that all pieces are then lined up properly together rather than making the harddrive bounce all over the place looking for each piece.

Reboot the computer after doing each of these things, then try burning again. I sometimes have to resort to slowing down the burn to 4X in order to prevent the underruns depending on the original movie and the codecs needed during the encoding process prior to the actual burn. Takes a little longer, but the errors stopped completely, and I've found I don't have to slow down the burn process very often anymore.

TONI

Collapse -
update
by MrFletch / July 11, 2005 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Couple of suggestions

I have the latest Plextor PX-716A firmware (Version 1.08) and i use nero 6.6.0.13. and i dont see what updates nero has to offer

i have more dvds to burn later so i will get back to you after i have tried again.

And i am not burning movies, just a backup of my various files (mp3, programs, documents, pictures,...)

Collapse -
Slow burning with Plextor PX-716A
by Dave_H / March 5, 2006 2:20 PM PST
In reply to: update

I know that Microsoft says Windows XP can run with only 64 MB of RAM, but the real absolute minimum for running JUST Windows is 256 MB. When people ask my recommendations for building or ordering a computer, I tell them that 512 MB is the minimum amount of RAM, and if they are going to be doing any kind of CD or DVD burning they should get 1 GB of RAM.
When a machine does not have enough RAM to run the programs that it is being asked to, it starts swapping data in and out of the page file on the hard drive. If your hard drive is full, fragmented, or just mechanically slow, burning anything will take forever. I am surprised you are able to burn anything because your machine is already hobbled by the small amount of RAM.
At a minimum, install another 512 MB of RAM; you will be amazed at how much faster everything on your machine works! Next, defragment your hard drive before starting any burns.
Check the specs on your hard drive; if it is an ATA 66 or less, it is going to have a very difficult time delivering data at the speed the burner needs. If your motherboard allows it, install a drive that is ATA 100 or ATA 133; you could even put one of these in as a secondary drive dedicated to audio/video editing and CD/DVD burning (there are lots of good deals on these drives right now though, so you might want to make one of them a main drive and use your existing hard drive as a backup for your other files).
As mentioned before, make sure your antivirus and spyware programs are disabled (be sure you are disconnected from the Internet first!). To free up more resources, open Task Manager and disable every program that has your name next to it except for Explorer and whatever programs you are using for CD/DVD burning. When you reboot after completing your burns, all those programs will automatically restart.
I have the Serial ATA version of this drive and it flies like an SR-71! The ONLY coasters have been due to software. I have noticed that when copying disks with Roxio's Easy Media Creator 7.5, there seem to be a lot of pauses where nothing is going on, even when I have used Task Manager to shut down any unnecessary processes. If I use VSO ''Copy to DVD'', or ''DVD Fab Platinum'', burns are done at top speed, and I don't have to babysit the process. For simple drag and drop file copying or file archiving, Roxio Drag to Disk has worked just fine.
Make sure you install the latest firmware updates from Plextor, and make sure you use the 80 wire cable that ships with the ATA version of drive--these things make a noticeable difference (I have solved a lot of hard drive and optical drive problems in computers just by using a ''known good'' cable).
Plextor has been my drive of choice since I first started using their SCSI CD Rom and CD-RW burners six years ago; I have never had a bad drive, and any ''premium'' I paid in price has more than been repaid in reliability and speed.
By the way, I am not a Plextor employee either, just a very satisfied end user!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What does Plextor sya ????????
by VAPCMD / March 5, 2006 10:16 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.