Computer Help forum

General discussion

Buffer Underrun Occurs

by mistermagoo / September 30, 2004 1:35 AM PDT

when trying to duplicate an audio cd with "cd writer plus" with any program(hp recordnow software,windows media player) it test runs fine, then about 2% of cd writes and then "T0100 i/o error (06/C5/00)Write Error Buffer Underrun Occurred" it says this x2 and "T7118 trackwriter error:command retry failed.can i change either the write speed or read speed somehow? i've gone to the system settings and changed the write speed to 1x on the cd writer but it didn't work, underrun still occurred.can someone help me with this problem? or do i need to buy a high transfer drive?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buffer Underrun Occurs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buffer Underrun Occurs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Buffer Underrun Occurs
by mistermagoo / September 30, 2004 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Buffer Underrun Occurs

oh yeah i'm running windows me

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2004 1:45 AM PDT

I didn't have this issue on my older CDR setup which was a 488dx at 100MHz and a 2X CDR recorder.

More likely you need to try a CD lens cleaner, another make media, install/reinstall the recording software and be sure you don't run any CPU using programs during the burn.

I'd try another drive. How old is this one?

Bob

Collapse -
by billzhills / September 30, 2004 1:55 AM PDT

Don't know if this applies but I had a similar with NERO.

Sometimes audo would burn, sometimes not, bad burns , buffer overruns. Found out that I had incompatable memory chips.

Bill

Collapse -
by reipph / September 30, 2004 4:38 AM PDT

Buffer underrun error occurs when there is insufficient CD Writer memory (not system memory)available to support the volume of the files/music to be burned, especially when there are large files to be burned.
YOu need to increase the data buffer size (for Nero, it is set to automatic but you can change it to manual), maximum buffer allocation for Nero is 80MB, sometimes it works, sometimes not especially if you have a lot of applications running in the background.
1. Close all other programs running in the background.
2. Dis-able anti-virus program, make sure though that your file is not corupted or has no virus in it.
You can also try to lower the burning speed, avoid using additional features like hiss reduction, equalizer, normalization, karaoke function, etc. during burning, it will help.
I tried it before when I have my former CD burner. Don't try to use RAM clearing softwares, it doen't help a lot. Make sure to make a CD image first, else, you will lose a lot of CDs, actually, sometimes the error occurs during the burning process even though it did not report a buffer under run error while a CD image is being created.
Newer burners with a speed of 48x and up like Samsung and Lite-On, have buffer under run protection feature (the burner automatically does a memory reset during burning). If you have the budget, try to replace your burner, I have a 52x32x52 burner with buffer under run protection now, and oh boy, I had forgotten the buffer under run error dis-appointment, had saved a lot of CDs too.

Collapse -
by chuckieu / September 30, 2004 6:21 AM PDT

Like Riepph, I suspect you have other programs (other than normal background ones) running. The only bad disc I
ever made was when I forgot what I was doing and started another program. Am using Nero with anti-virus active.
Another thought, don't use cheap media. Decent stuff only runs .20 on sale. chuck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.