Question

Buffalo HD-CX500U2 external hard drive not recognised

Hi All,

Really starting to panic that I have lost my data...

I have a Buffalo HD-CX500U2 external hard drive. Had it for many years. When connected it would ask for the password (which I still remember).

Suddenly it was not being recognised by the usb port and I tried several, so I thought I was smart and could take the drive out of the case and connect to inside the PC to use. It is recognised in BIOS. However it is no accessible in Windows and shows unallocated. The hard drive itself is a Samsung. I've tried several data recovery programs (demos, trials) and all it seems to retrieve (if anything) are pictures etc that appear to be part of the software installed on the drive for when I need to enter my password. Please help as I have years of family photos and memories I can't part with.

Discussion is locked
Answer
Follow
Reply to: Buffalo HD-CX500U2 external hard drive not recognised
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Buffalo HD-CX500U2 external hard drive not recognised
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: external

IIt's well known (in these forums anyway) that external hard disks are (far) less reliable than internal ones. So, since data on internal disks needs to be backed up regularly, that's even (far) more necessary for data on external disks. As we say here "you only lose what you don't backup"

Having it done after the fact by some data recovery company, like driversavers.com or ontrack.com or whatever company you trust, is much more expensive than buying a second and third disk to make the occasional backup to. And, moreover, less sure to succeed. So you have to chose between parting from those photos or parting from some money, I'm afraid.

- Collapse -
Answer
Bad news I fear.

Without backups and what appears to be an encrypted external drive my bet is you'll have to use a recovery house like Kees mentioned.

Backups of what we can't lose is not optional and many write back they didn't know or want help anyway. I think Kees is right on about this as I've seen too many externals just vanish.

CNET Forums