Auto Repair - Roadshow forum

General discussion

Budget GPS system for older parents

by peaex / September 1, 2008 1:56 PM PDT

I'm in the process of buying a in car GPS system for my aging parents, who need a decent sized screen (4.3"), loud speaker, and easy usability. Feature set doesn't need to be great, buy text-to-speech would be nice. I'm looking to spend $100-250.

So far I am looking at the Tomtom ONE XL or the Garmin Nuvi 200w.
Which would be a better suit for my parents? Or are there better options out there?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Budget GPS system for older parents
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Budget GPS system for older parents
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XL 330S
by run_va / September 3, 2008 11:18 PM PDT

The TomTom XL 330S would be your best bet. 4.3" widescreen, text to speech, and an easy interface to navigate. You can find them close too $200 on sale online.

Collapse -
GPS for older eyes.
by Oz_Fitzy / September 5, 2008 11:54 AM PDT

As I reluctantly move into the older age group myself, I find readability of the very small font on some GPS units a nuisance. I have five GPSs (to save moving one from car to car) the oldest a Garmin Quest, a Tom Tom 910, 2 Kogans (which are rebadged MIOs I think) and recently a Garmin Nuvi 760.

While these don't meet the budget criteria, note that the Garmins are MUCH more readable in bright sunlight (I think they have a special coating). All the others are like taking a TV set out into the bright sun.

The Garmin 760 also has a larger screen, only the most relevant info on screen, a large font and the easiest and most intuitive to use. Even a complete novice could work out how to use it with no instruction advice. The mount is the best of all of them too.

Tips: Thieves know that if there's a mounting on your screen then you probably have the GPS unit hidden in the console or glovebox. Take it with you - and both my Garmins are best for that being easy to pocket.

P.S. - I'm in Australia so I can't quote US prices.

Collapse -
Never had an issue
by run_va / September 9, 2008 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: GPS for older eyes.

I use a 930 that has the same screen as the 330S and I can see it fine in pretty intense sunlight- the 330S is a lot smaller and pretty slim with the new mount so it fits in a pocket easily

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?