PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Budget gaming PC

by dpcrawford / March 22, 2006 4:28 AM PST

CPU -------AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Processor 1GHz HT 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 ? Retail $160

Motherboard- ASRock 939NF4G-SATA2 Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard $67

Memory CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

Case\PSU POWMAX Bio II CP601-5 Gray All Metal Construction (SGCC) ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Single Fan Power Supply

Hard drive Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive ? OEM $53

Optical Drive LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM $19.99

Graphics SAPPHIRE 100145L Radeon X1600PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - $130

Total $ 426

How would this run BF2 and other newer games?

Also... I was planning on using the mobo's onboard graphics card for a while and save up for a better video card. Maybe 2 of the one I have listed on Crossfire.

Are there any upgrades you can recomend that would still keep the price under $500?

Thanks for the help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Budget gaming PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Budget gaming PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not a gamer, but if
by Ray Harinec / March 22, 2006 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: Budget gaming PC

you really think that you will want to upgrade in a while and not rebuild then get a top of the line mobo so that when you go to SLI or such you don't have to start over.

That seems to be a good mobo as a budget, but your objective seems to point to a better mobo, one of the SLI supporters.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What are the advantages of SLI?
by dpcrawford / March 22, 2006 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: Not a gamer, but if
Collapse -
I'm not a gamer, however
by Ray Harinec / March 22, 2006 7:45 AM PST

it seems that the multiple video cards can give immensely faster game performance at high resolution and all of the features that make excellent video without artifacts and such.

There are even some systewms made using foru SLI type video card.

Really need to ask a gamer about this. Maybe search google or a gamers forum.

Collapse -
How about
by dpcrawford / April 6, 2006 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a gamer, but if

the ASUS a8n-SLI- ATX? Or is there a cheaper alternative that's still viable for gaming?

Collapse -
See this thread...
by nathanpsz2 / April 6, 2006 1:30 PM PDT
In reply to: How about

...And look at my post. It should run BF2 fine.

Collapse -
Why all of the new threads?
by nathanpsz2 / March 22, 2006 9:47 AM PST

You're confusing me.

Collapse -
Because
by dpcrawford / March 22, 2006 4:37 PM PST

I had a thread like this but it was getting kinda long and someone told me to make a whole other thread about a graphics card question but the graphics card question needed the rest of the info on mz computer to be answered. And for the other ones with the Dual Core CPU and the one about Crossfire... The PC book I have is a little old and doesn|t explain those things, so I figured I would ask here.

Collapse -
Deal Hunting
by Scott Simontis / March 22, 2006 10:38 AM PST

It looks like you have found some great deals, but you should look around in the Sunday ads if you get your local newspaper. Fry's Electronics normally has good deals on a motherboard/CPU combo, and CompUSA sometimes has some nice deals, although the rebate process is a nightmare. Otherwise, it looks like your system should be fine.

If you use the integrated graphics, don't expect to be able to turn up the options in all your games. You should be able to play them still, but it won't look pretty. If you have money, I would put it into the video card, or a CD burner.

Also, do you have a copy of Windows already? That could really spoil everything.

Collapse -
No...haha
by dpcrawford / March 22, 2006 4:47 PM PST
In reply to: Deal Hunting

I don't have a copy of Windows yet, but I will get that before I get the hardware. I already have a keyboard... I'm using my dad's old mouse(He just recently upgraded tooptical so I'm using his old computer which runs on Windows 98 and only has 700Ghz of CPU power... So it ain't exactly a gaming machine.lol.) After I get the thing built the first thing I will upgrade is the MOUSE! Optical! No ball! yay.lol. I really like the feel of his... I might just buy him a replacement and take his. He's been wanting a wireless mouse a keyboard.
The deal searching idea is great! Honestly I don't think I've ever heard of Fry's electronics... But I live in Germany so that's understandable. We will be back in the states in April though. I shall commence my searching then.

As for the CD burner, I'm going to salvage the CDRW, Floppy drives, and the sound card from the computer I'm using now. Although... I might wind up just sticking with the onboard sound... I dunno for sure.

Collapse -
good budget gamer
by ramarc / March 22, 2006 11:49 AM PST

you've got yourself a good rig there, but get a good power supply. cheap power supplies die early and cause all sorts of problems in their death throes. my rule of thumb: spend at least $90 on a case + PS or at least $50 on a PS.

the x1600pro is the best bang for the under $150 price range. but spend $55 more ($185 total) and get a card that kicks it's butt -- the geforce 7600gt. that card will play whatever you throw at it for the next year or so. in 2006 you can ponder upgrading rather than *needing* to upgrade.

Collapse -
I wondered
by dpcrawford / March 22, 2006 4:53 PM PST
In reply to: good budget gamer

about the PSU... I certainly don't want it to die and tkae my mobo with it. That would stink. Yeah... My original budget was $500 and I'm like $80 short of that so I can afford to throw in something better.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?