General discussion

budget camera

Hi, I am looking for a fast budget (£90) compact digital camera which has little noise at high ISO and in general takes sharp photos, if anyone knows of any such camera I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks Happy

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: budget camera
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: budget camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That would be about $143 US Dollars

You will not find a new camera with those abilities for that price.

I don't know of a used camera either.

- Collapse -
budget camera

I would like a decent one that at least on 400 iso it wont be bitty

- Collapse -
I never found ISO to be the cure to grain or bittiness.

It did seem to matter where I had fast moving objects. Let's hope our camera experts can write a bit more but you may want to go shopping and try a few cameras in your price range.
Bob

- Collapse -
ISO 400

That's not what I would call high ISO. Any compact camera can give acceptable ISO 400 images if you only print small, or view the images sized to fit a laptop screen.

Fast is a different issue. A camera needs time to focus and calculate exposure. Compact cameras don't do that well in low light. It helps to anticipate the shot by pre-focusing, i.e. pressing the shutter button down half way to engage the autofocusing and exposure systems.

You haven't said what you need high ISO for, but since you also asked for fast, I would assume you want to capture a moving subject indoors. There is no small camera that can do it well, certainly not those that are cheap. ISO 400 would not be nearly high enough, because you also need a fast shutter speed to freeze movement. The only way to get what you want with a small camera is to use the flash.

- Collapse -
budget camera

Ok.... So what good fast budget camera is there that takes good quality pictures, there are so many cameras out there I wouldn't know where to start?
Just looking for something very good within my budget Thanks Happy

- Collapse -
OK, I'll cross that line.

Here's a shot from my refurb Kodak Z5120 for USD 149.99 to my mailbox.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w146/rproffitt2000/100_0027.jpg

It's a panoramic shot but just last week I found a refurb Kodak Z990 on sale and picked that up too. It was USD 129.99 to my mailbox.

Both were refurbs but can rankle the camera purists. There is another model I'd like to try which is cheap and has an optical viewfinder. It even has a review at CNET. Here's the two links for this USD 120 buck camera.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/ge-power-pro-x500/4505-6501_7-34515261.html
http://www.amazon.com/GE-X500-WH-Optical-Digital-Camera/dp/B004LB4SBG

Given that I have the Kodak models I see no reason to play with the GE-X500 since it looks to have less going for it indoors.
Bob

CNET Forums