Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Bubble-Jet or Color Laser Printer?

Greetings,

Just what are the practical criteria ... the pros and cons if you will ... of getting a bubble-jet vs a color laser printer?

Many thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bubble-Jet or Color Laser Printer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bubble-Jet or Color Laser Printer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here is some reading material

In reply to: Bubble-Jet or Color Laser Printer?

Please note that there are different kinds of printers out there. I use an injet printer. I use a Dell, but there are many brands that basically do the same thing.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/inkjet-printer.htm

Bubble jet printers are listed here.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question163.htm

And Laser printers. If you do a lot of printing, then that's when you consider a Laser printer. The cost of a laser printer is offset by the amount of printing you do.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/laser-printer.htm

Just consider, I do some printing, but not a lot. I have a photo printer(inkjet). My daughter uses it to print her homework assignments. During the school year, the printer gets used a lot. During the summer, it gets used very little. I use it to print a few pictures. I have found that if you want to print multiple pictures, it's cheaper to put the pictures on a flash drive or a cd/dvd and take them to a store and have them print them. The cost is much less to have a store print your pictures than the cost of ink and photo paper.

You also have to consider if you want deplex printing, printing on both sides. The you also have to consider if you want to print wirelessly or use a USB cable. Some printers are also hooked up to a network, like businesses use.

So it all depends on what you're looking for in a printer and how you connect the printer and if using multiple printers, please make sure it's compatible with all the computers that you want to print with. Some printers only work with 200, XP and Vista 32-bit. If you have a 64-bit system, you may have problems getting the drivers. Also if you own a Mac, you also need drivers for this type of operating system.

Plenty to read and absorbe.

Rick

Collapse -
Bubble-Jet or Color Laser Printer?

In reply to: Here is some reading material

Rick,

Super reply ... and thanks for taking the time to do so.

I'd been leaning toward a color laser but your input started tilting me toward an inkjet. I then visited a local Staples where I was shown the "HP PhotoSmart C4480 All-in-One" at $89 or so. For my modest color printing needs this seems like a fine fit for me and I'll probably pick one up this week.

Thanks again fpr your help.

Collapse -
Glad you figured it out

Only you know how much printing you want to do. I don't do enough for a laser and sometimes the inkjet sits here, unused. Like Ed mentioned, inkjets tend to sit and clog if not used over a period of time. I try to print something within a certain time frame, even if it's a coupon for a free item at the store. They usually email a coupon monthly, so it gets used monthly for 3 or 4 coupons(I have them emailed to 4 different email addresses)

I order my ink from Dell, so it doesn't sit around the house and dry out. They're sealed in foil but, I guess they can eventually get old and dry out. Online takes about 3-4 days, for me. Staples should have a pretty current supply of ink, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I also see your printer is compatible with many operating systems.

Good Luck.

Rick

Remember to install the drivers first, you'll be prompted when to connect your new printer.

Collapse -
Printers

If you are doing mass quantities of printing, say for an office, go Laser. If you are using it for home, general use and hobby, go Inkjet.There are a lot of great printers on the market, preferably Hewlett Packard, Canon, or Epson and they are all reasonably priced. If you are a home user and want to have the ability to do printing, copying and scanning then do an all in one unit. The really good ones are the HP and the Canon, both do good quality and are easy to use.

Collapse -
In a nutshell

Inkjets - usually the printer is reasonably priced BUT! the consumables make it costly to operate

Laserjets - The printer is priced at a much higher BUT! reasonable costs for operation from the consumables. You get more bang for the buck.

If you plan heavy demand, go laser, if only occasional use the inkjet. Since, you mentioned a bubble-jet, Canon tends to be very middle of the road in cost and consumables. Even with refills of any kind, it will lower cost for laser as its output produces more. Please read the links Robert provided.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
In addition to what Willie said ...

In reply to: In a nutshell

ink jet cartridges tend to dry up over time if not used regularly while laser toner doesn't which further reduces the cost of consumables.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.